Taking it slowly, but doing it well.

Comments

• newgirly wrote: »
    Morning wishing, hope all is well :) you have inspired me to look into bank switching again, I’ve not done that for ages.

My dh was also “frugal” with the Easter eggs - ie. he didn’t get me one! I don’t blame you switching his with yours :rotfl:

Morning NG, there seem to be a few about at the moment. The NtWst one is good because it doesn't need any direct debits, there's a hal1fx one I'm going to see if I can wangle and the nationwd one I definitely need to look into. My problem is I don't have that many direct debits as I pay a lot of things annually, dual fuel etc, so it's actually quite tricky to have several switching accounts.
    Eggs were half price in Mr S yesterday I acted all ungrateful but asked for a Cadbury's one. Which I got. I hate cheap chocolate. So now I've got an egg I can melt down for cooking and one I can eat.

Good luck with it all.
    Wish
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • yesterday was not a nsd! Trip to the supermarket with25%of clothes saw me purchase 2xshorts 1xflip flops and pickle got socks (put away for Christmas) shorts, a sun suit/beach suit thing and some other bits and bobs.
    Hubby decided to get some 'bits' for camping food, I needed defuzzing cream (£8!!!!) and sunscreen purchasing for the season (£10 for 2!)

We then went to a camping shoP.
    Let's just say the damage has been wammed into oblivion on ynab and we will squeak through.

Hubby has already deposited May's housekeeping money so the cash flow has improved somewhat. I've only got £99 to swish through the new account in order to claim the switching bonus, so I'll do that at the end of the week when my supply money comes through.

Camping for a few days so I may not be around much. No electricity to charge devices, so we'll be fighting over the in car charger...
    Wish

Mse April Goals
    Mop pot:
    1) mortgage interest added £55.82/£55.82 :j
    2) nice round number £29.26/£29.26 :j
    3) £400 capital reduction £100/£100 :j
    4) £500 capital reduction (and hopefully back on track for my mfw 2019 target £29.57/£100

Current account switch funding
    £1401/£1500

NSDs
    13/15
  • Evening all, just checking in following our camping trip. Yes the weather went downhill reasonably rapidly, but it was still fun. I've sorted out the finances and things are ok - I've got cash in my purse to see me through the last 3 days of April.

I managed 1 nsd (yesterday) so let's see if I can get 1 out of the next 3 days.

My supply money has been paid and my main wage slip is in, with the payment pending. My expenses aren't pending though so I've not ynabed them as yet - bonus money woohooo.

I've set up a standing order of £100 to put the last bit into the new account. I've set this up monthly to make the account seem active. I do have 2 direct debits set up from this account one is my mobile bill, the other is my credit card payment so I will need to manually send money over most months, but there is a good buffet at the moment. Once all of the 'first of the month' bills have gone out I'll see if I've got enough cash to open the 5% current account (I can get 5% on balances up to £2,500 for a year) -better than my isa interest so I want to set this up as soon as I've got most of the £2.5k - I don't want to 'waste' any of the 5%time.

By the time my wages clear on Monday I will have met all of my mop pot targets for the month, so I should be 'back on track' for my annual target. (I think I'll exceed my target by 67p, so I'll be into the £26,000s before my payment goes out on the first. Bring it on!)

I hope you are all having a lovely weekend. Stay warm & dry!
    Wish

Mse April Goals
    Mop pot:
    4) £500 capital reduction (and hopefully back on track for my mfw 2019 target £78.01/£100

£1401/£1500 (will be £1501/£1500 on 1st May - standing order set up)

NSDs
    14/15
  • I did do a post yesterday, but fell asleep before hitting submit so it disappeared.
    So:
    I've ended the month with 2 NSDs. Beating my target for the month by 1 day - not bad!

I've reduced my outstanding mortgage by £500 (there's actually 33p sitting on this ynab line I'm letting roll over into May because I like the mortgage to be a nice round number.
    My mop pot this month exceeds the standard payment.
    With 10.5 years left on the term we could clear the mortgage in 4.5 at the rate we're going this month. Obviously we hope for sooner.

There is £100 that will pop into the switches account tonight meaning that I've met all the requirements of the switch to get £125 at some point. I need to use the debit card once a month now to ensure I get the extra £50 in 12months time.

Savings pots are still feeling weak following all the work in the first three months of the year, but with no big spends in April they have recovered a little. More work to be done then I'll focus on saving again.

My work hours will increase again slightly in a few weeks all of which helps.
    I've had 1 p60 through, two more to go then I can submit my tax return. There is a rebate of around £200 due. This will be saved or added to the mop pot. Exciting times.
    Tomorrow I will do the 'first of the month money shuffled and I should be able to overpay the mortgage by the interest added (depends if they calculate it tomorrow or Thursday. ) once that's done it's target setting and a fabulously frugal (hopefully) May - oh wait... hubby & Pickle's birthdays. Hmmmm.
    Wish

Mse April Goals
    Mop pot:
    4) £500 capital reduction (and hopefully back on track for my mfw 2019 target £100/£100 :j (33p towards May's mop pot too)

£1401/£1500 (will be £1501/£1500 on 1st May - standing order set up)

NSDs
    16/15
  • Morning all, love internet banking. All the first of the month money shuffles are done.

Due to:
    May being a '4 Monday month', still having £20 in my purse and the cleaner being poorly for a couple of weeks in April (so less cash needed to pay her this month) the mop pot was already sitting at nearly £150.00 this morning. I usually wait until the mortgage interest has been added before setting my targets for the month, but I'm not patient enough!
    Here goes with the targets.

Mse May Goals

Mop pot
    1) nice round number following standard payment £29.26/£29.26 :j
    2) £400 capital reduction £100/£100 :j
    3) interest added £19.10/????
    4) £500 capital reduction £100

NSDs
    0/15
  • Not a nsd today - Parkin and a few bits for a special family meal. Mortgage interest has been added. £53.41 for the month so down to £1.78 a day. So I'll add that to my targets below.

A day home alone tomorrow, which means a massive to do list. It should involve boxing a load of books/DVDs etc up and posting off to a sale site. That should help my targets.

Will catch up with everything else later, have a good evening.

Wish

Mse May Goals

Mop pot
    3) interest added £25.76/£53.41

NSDs
    0/15
  • Nsd today, I completed all the tasks on my to do list. And 2 of my tasks were to return things for a refund. Mobile phone bill generated today, surplus in the mop pot. Landline bill will be generated tomorrow. And then that really is all the easy wins for the month. It will be the hard slog for the rest. But! I've already got nearly £200 in the mop pot, so I'm not doing too badly at all.

Onwards and downwards with the mortgage.

Woohooo

Wish

Mse May Goals

Mop pot
    3) interest added £45.85/£53.41

NSDs
    1/15
  • Yesterday was not a nsd - cinema trip to see the new big film. Hubby got tickets through his pli company so they were much cheaper - thank goodness. Such a sloooooowwww film. They could have done what they did in about half the length of time - why do film companies do this???

The last of the start of the month bills have been generated and Tilly tidies made this means I've already made 3 of my 4
    Mini targets for the mop pot for this month. Just a hard slog through the main monthly slow finance weeks to go.

I've accepted half a day's supply for Thursday afternoon so that's a few more pennies in the pot and the supply agency have sent through my p60, so I think I can do my tax return. I'm definitely due a rebate though so that's good.

My net worth improved by just over £1000 last month, mortgage down by £500 and the rest in savings and sinking funds. This does include some interest added to my 'super emergency fund though' so not all of it is ready cash.

Not sure what today holds and I'm going out as we are on day 2 of potty training - we need a lot of patience!

Wish

Mse May Goals

Mop pot
    3) interest added £53.41/£53.41 :j
    4) £500 capital reduction £1.13/£100

NSDs
    1/15
  • Nsd yesterday. Hooray. We did manage to get out of the house for 1.5 hours with no accidents. Which is an achievement. But I still don't think Small is really recognising when he needs to go. Hubby can deal with the changing of his bed. As he thought it was a brilliant idea to leave him out of nappies overnight too. Grrrrrr

Some more skimming done, interest added to the isa and now 1/5 of the way towards the last mini mop pot target of the month. Not bad for the 5th of the month. Just got to slog it out now. May see if there are any cashback type bonuses available to down load to help me out.

Not sure what the plan is for today. Hubby is working, so I'm in 'operation potty' solo!
  • A Nsd yesterday, so not too bad. But then, I didn't leave the house, so that's why. Today requires some food shopping and potentially some additional jogging bottom type trousers for Pickle as he's mastered getting those up and down himself.
    Depending on what the weather is like we may go out to a local park, need to pack the change bag for #operationpotty rather than nappies etc- hence the need for more jogging bottoms.

Watch this space....

Mse May Goals

Mop pot
    3) interest added £53.41/£53.41 :j
    4) £500 capital reduction £20.98/£100

NSDs
    2/15
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure