Martins Musings

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Can i ask what RSS means please? I dont think i have come across it before.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You need to be using Firefox as apposed to IE as your browser Judi, then you need to ask sra what to do :D

I can certainly recommend using Firefox though.
  • Judi wrote:

RSS = Really Simple Syndication

This is a way of publishing a blog so that it can be easily read by an RSS reader. As blogging become popular, rather than trawl across everyone's different websites, you just configure them in your RSS reader (I use Feed Demon for example) then go to one place to read all the updates. A lot of regular sites use them too now, e.g. BBC news. You also get to read just what you want to without all the ads etc. For blog sites this is a must have/standard.
    Waddle you do eh?
  • nemo183
    nemo183 Posts: 637 Forumite
    I think the blog a great idea. Also sorry to hear about the phone business - a real pain.

Am more concerned about some of the latest comments on the blog - maybe the onset of PTSD, following the phone theft? I quote "Karate Kid series of films. Obviously 1 is a classic"

Thank heavens Martin is a money expert, rather than film reviewer..........
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    nemo nemo nemo. KK1 was quality, the images, the script, the characterisation, it was all there (ok well it was 1984, i was 12, it was very kool, lots of kickin and fightin :) )
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • crutches
    crutches Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    the blog is brilliant.Thanks so much for this site!
    Every day above ground is a good one ;)
  • wirm
    wirm Posts: 5,273 Forumite
    Thanks for more updates on your blog Martin. To answer your question about your stolen mobile. There are 'ways' (I'll leave it at that) to use the phone in the UK....

And the "person" who stole your phone doesn't have to be part of a gang, anyone could sell a blacklisted phone on eBay.....(say no more)

I have to agree with you about Karate Kid 1! It is the soooo good! Shame it goes downhill after that though....:(
  • wirm
    wirm Posts: 5,273 Forumite
    One more thing. Its a pitty we couldn't get a notification when the blog is updating, I keep forgetting to check it and find I'm a bit behind....
  • sra
    sra Posts: 4,678 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Judi wrote:

I'll use this opportunity to park a quick inrto to rss 'till I have the chance to update the a-z icon10.gif

An RSS feed is a way to let people view the 'headlines' from a site without having to visit it.

It would be more useful for people who don't visit this site as often as we do.
    The simplist form of RSS display is with firefox's live bookmarks but different viewers use them in different ways.

e.g. This type is quite common - You click on a website in the top-left pane, then headlines from that site appear underneath and you can click on bits you're interested in to view in the main area

The reason people like them so much is because you can quickly see the articles you're interested in from a large number of websites quickly without having to visit them one after the other.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thats handy to have. One could save an awful lot of time browsing the net using that system.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure