30 replies 11.3K views
MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
8.3K posts
✭✭✭✭
Want to discuss

Www.moneysavingexpert.com/blog

Then click reply to discuss or ask a question
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Replies

• apprentice_tycoonapprentice_tycoon Forumite
    3.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been reading the blog -interesting details about the Rosie story, I'd assumed that there was much left on the cutting room floor.
    Just as a side query, the Tips emails go out weds/thurs and the forum site is always busy on thursdays...what I wondered was if Martin ever got feedback from any of the credit card companies etc that get mentioned in the Tips, do they get busy on thursdays too?
  • Smiley_MumSmiley_Mum Forumite
    3.8K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Martin,

Enjoyed the diary - interesting to get an insight into your day to day life as Mr Money Saving Expert, written with a streak of devilment in parts. Look forward to the next chapter.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • buckleys52buckleys52 Forumite
    5 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Hi Martin,

I think blogging could be a great medium for you to use - it is changing the way journalism/news is published and distributed dramatically.

You should add an RSS feed too to make this highly accessible.

rgds,
    Paul
    Waddle you do eh?
  • 83838383 Forumite
    160 posts
    This is an excellent idea Martin. Mr favourite bit was the 'GM-TV Yawn!'. Shows how popular you are. :)

edit: and 'The PM as my personal chair warmer' was really good too! I'll look forward to reading more entries! :D
  • Hey

Like the blog! I especially liked that you put the bit about when you messed up on- very honest.

I wondered though if you ever wondered what would happen if everyone had the information you give out. For example if everyone credit card tarted then surely 0% deals would stop. I suppose with perfect information everything would tend towards being the same price, then I guess you'd be out of a job.
  • Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey

Like the blog! I especially liked that you put the bit about when you messed up on- very honest.

I wondered though if you ever wondered what would happen if everyone had the information you give out. For example if everyone credit card tarted then surely 0% deals would stop. I suppose with perfect information everything would tend towards being the same price, then I guess you'd be out of a job.

On 22 March Martin posted a thread for the Capital One 18 months 0% interest card and because he knew it would be taken up quickly there was no time to put it in the email or his articles. The thread had 10,750 views and by the next day the offer was finished. That is the power of MSE :D
  • Yeah, I just wondered what would happen if everyone always knew about these deals. Like you say Edinboroughglass, its crazy as things are but I wonder what it would be like if Martin did have his helpline and everyone knew about it.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course property ownership is desirable, yet it isn’t the panacea many people believe
    I agree, a rented property may not be your own but at least you dont have to pay when the roof falls in - you shouldnt have to pay the building insurance either. I have spent in the region of £12,000 on my property in the last 18 months - not to make it more habitable but to just repair it. Over the years that would eat up at any profit one makes on buying a house - give me a rented house anyday!!

As for ones pension, well i agree with the phrase Martin uses
    it’s also too much ‘all your eggs in one basket’.
    Who wants the biggest house they can afford, with all the trappings of the bills that go with it just to think of selling it when you retire and worry in case in case i cant afford to meet the repayments some time in the future. I would much rather live in a small house that i could afford than go broke every month but have a huge house that i cant afford. Give me a small house and a few grand sitting in the bank anytime.

However, thats just me, and i am sure if everyone thought like me, no one would get anywhere!!!
  • SheelSheel Forumite
    45.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Judi wrote:
    As for ones pension, well i agree with the phrase Martin uses Who wants the biggest house they can afford, with all the trappings of the bills that go with it just to think of selling it when you retire and worry in case in case i cant afford to meet the repayments some time in the future. I would much rather live in a small house that i could afford than go broke every month but have a huge house that i cant afford. Give me a small house and a few grand sitting in the bank anytime.

I totally agree with that
    Proud wife and Mum to 3 NHS essential key workers.

• CopperPlate_2CopperPlate_2 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    buckleys52 wrote:
    Hi Martin,

I think blogging could be a great medium for you to use - it is changing the way journalism/news is published and distributed dramatically.

You should add an RSS feed too to make this highly accessible.

rgds,
    Paul

Like the idea of an RSS feed - keep me updated with all the goings on!

Love the Blog - v funny and nice to see we've now got a Favicon for the site too! Better than the old "V"

Keep it up

CP ;)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support