Invited to compliance interview (benefit fraud)

Options

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,250 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Too many people in here seem to be avoiding the most important question......

How much was the inheritance ? :rotfl:

I'm not sure what the point of your rolling face is?

However since people have both asked outright about the amount of the inheritance and also gone through the basics of how the amount received makes a difference to the benefits- perhaps you are not reading the same thread I am?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If I'm really honest I got some inheritance and I genuinely didn't believe it was classed as income as I was not using it monthly to live on and was a lump sum.

It wasn't income (although you may have been receiving some savings income from it) but it was capital, and there are rules about MTBs and capital.

I should think that receipt of the inheritance would also have qualified as a change of circumstances which should have been reported.

Once you own more than a certain amount of capital you are expected to use it against expenses formerly covered by benefits.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    But believe me, they will find out about the investigation and that claim will be assessed by the council. Considering housing benefit is very often assessed by the same office that deals with council tax reduction...

Oh there is no doubting that
  • Gaz1971
    Gaz1971 Posts: 488 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How did they find out? They can't just look in your account any time they feel like it, it's against the law, and the fact you claim benefits does not allow them to ignore the law, so someone must have reported you for some reason.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gaz1971 wrote: »
    How did they find out? They can't just look in your account any time they feel like it, it's against the law, and the fact you claim benefits does not allow them to ignore the law, so someone must have reported you for some reason.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/penalty-charges/prescription-exemption-checking-service
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How did they find out?
    What has that got to do with it?

That could be how they found out.
  • Gaz1971
    Gaz1971 Posts: 488 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How the hell does applying for free prescriptions lead them to find out you have money in the bank?
  • newbutold
    newbutold Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 July 2017 at 9:33PM
    Options
    Mjl17xx wrote: »
    I revived the lump sum in march 2015
    And the amount I'm unsure of because i don't know if they'll take into consideration the other benefits from the council & HRMC or just the 1 benefit from DWP

Savings are not taken into account when working out Tax credits but they are taken into account for Housing Benefit.

Although if you earn interest over £300 pa on your savings, this interest is counted as income for tax credits.
    If my posts have random wrong words, please blame the damn autocorrect not me :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure