Ex girlfriend's bank statements still coming through the letter box?

Options

Comments

• Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    If a dispute/debt ultimately arose in the event of returned letters not making it all the way through to the senders, you'd become well aware of it long before any bailiffs got involved!
    How, if all letters are being returned unopened?
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Eco_Miser wrote: »
    How, if all letters are being returned unopened?
    I was meaning that the number of letters would increase and they'd presumably start to be labelled as 'final demand' (or something similarly heavy) and/or be sent via recorded delivery.

I may be wrong - I can't speak from experience and am happy to keep it that way - but just find it hard to believe that the first time that someone would be aware of an escalated dispute would be an unannounced visit from a bailiff.

So, in the situation described by the poster I was replying to, I'd still be keen to do everything by the book and return to sender rather than getting involved by opening mail....
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was meaning that the number of letters would increase and they'd presumably start to be labelled as 'final demand' (or something similarly heavy) and/or be sent via recorded delivery.

I may be wrong - I can't speak from experience and am happy to keep it that way - but just find it hard to believe that the first time that someone would be aware of an escalated dispute would be an unannounced visit from a bailiff.

I can confirm what eskbanker says from experience.

The following items were all returned to sender, clearly marked that the addressee had moved away:- about two years worth of standard monthly statements, some (replacement?) cards, more frequent letters from the bank, very frequent letters from debt collection agencies, a letter from the local court, a second letter from the local court.

On receiving the second court letter a phone call confirmed the correspondence related to a CCJ and in due course bailiffs might come knocking. The court official noted that the person involved didn't live there anymore and said further enquiries would be made. No more was heard on the matter.

Most of those steps were repeated with half a dozen other banks. Barclaycard are still in the monthly statement phase of the process - nearly four years after their customer left the country.

There has never been a knock on the door... unless they visited and didn't leave a 'sorry we missed you' note.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    Many people living in the UK aren't 'natives' (however you may define that), yet still have records with credit reference agencies. CRAs don't distinguish by nationality or country of birth, and nobody gets born with a CRA record, not even British citizens.

Then that's my bad. Although I know we aren't born with one and we earn it as such, through creating a history with a bank and kind of showing them you can manage credit well I suppose.

I've lived where I live now for most of my life, but I know when it comes to lenders, they'll only really see how long I've been on the electoral role once I turned 18 and see how long I've lived at my address accordingly, which I'm 21 in a few weeks so three years is a good length. And I've got credit cards, a phone contract, large overdraft. I've never missed a payment for any of these, and my score got updated the other day and I'm nearly at 999 - excellent. Only issues I've ever had over the years is too many searches when I've switched current accounts/credit providers.

Anyway, my point is that I know being with a British bank, she will have a credit report from the day she opened it pretty much. But there'll only be a bank there, no credit, no overdraft, just a simple current account, she won't be on the electoral role and things like that so her credit score will be fairly low. I know the score as such doesn't matter but there's barely any history on her account, that's what I was getting at
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    I'm nearly at 999 - excellent
    You have been around these boards long enough to know not to give a flying funicular about your random number ...
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You have been around these boards long enough to know not to give a flying funicular about your random number ...

They should know full well that my random numbers are just as accurate and much cheaper.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    I'm nearly at 999 - excellent
    To be fair, OP may have meant "999 - [which Experian label as] excellent", rather than "999 - [which I think is] excellent", especially in light of the later comment:
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    I know the score as such doesn't matter
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 July 2017 at 7:15PM
    Options
    To be fair, OP may have meant "999 - [which Experian label as] excellent", rather than "999 - [which I think is] excellent", especially in light of the later comment:

Yeah that is how I meant it, they mark it from red to green. The highest green being Excellen.

I know the number itself doesn't matter though, it's more what is on your report that counts. Although I still do like to see the number as it is a slight indication of how well things are going
  • Mandalorian16
    Options
    RTS are given red stickers with relevent info on reason for rejection or non-delivery, the return address is highlighted in blue crayon.

I've worked in RM for ten years and never heard of your official red pen thing before.

Then again, casual workers think they know it all.
  • Badger50
    Badger50 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    TSB seem to be exceptionally fussy about address changes. My wife sent in a change of address form and got a letter back (to our new address!) saying her signature didn't match their records and she would need to go into a branch with photo ID. (The signature didn't match because the account was opened online and they didn't hold a specimen signature - as is the case with most of our accounts). All our other banks were perfectly OK about changing our address.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure