We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbourhood kids swearing and behavior annoying us

Options

Comments

• keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    swingaloo wrote: »
    We put up with it week in, week out and on the one occasion I did snap I grabbed the football and brought it into our house. When they knocked for it I went to the door with the ball and a pair of scissors, let them see me pierce the ball and threw it back to them. Less than 15 minutes later I had a visit from the police saying there had been a complaint about criminal damage!

And a woman who did the same was murdered by some feral kid's parents not so long ago:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/05/woman-beaten-to-death-by-neighbour-in-row-over-burst-football-6617018/

Trying to 'engage' with these sort of people is a waste of time.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • beautiful_ravens
    Options
    I lived in a similar road once. I went from a secluded cottage in the woods to a housing estate. There were kids like this there. We lived on a corner so the kids had been playing on the front lawn and using it to cut the corner. From what I could gather, they had been pestering the previous tenant.
    One day they would not stop knocking on the door. They all had these ominous balls of mud they had made, and nothing better to do than knock on my door. After a long while, I answered it. They told me the last woman who lived there was a 'witch and a pedo' [Im sure she wasnt!] so I just mmm-ed and ohh-ed and went along with it not really saying anything. They asked a load of questions, to which I gave VERY boring/generic/normal answers, and eventually they got bored and went away...after that, they didnt pester us particularly. I think they were just nosy. And they were intimidating, not as 'children' exactly, but as members of a wider group - because they all knew each other, the parents knew each other, there was no way, as a new tenant, you'd get away with doing ANYTHING confrontational without basically the whole street coming down on you.
    I only lasted 10 months at that house and will never live on a housing estate ever again.
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    The problem with some kids ( and some adults ) is that they can't be reasoned with ; and even the certainty of a long jail sentence, doesn't discourage them.
    If you find yourself in a risky conflict situation ; you only know it is going bad, when it is too late.
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oh Guest, I love how you sit there pontificating and giving your words of 'wisdom' always in red for impact!

I don't usually bother to respond but today I don't have much else to do.
    So

Ok but she probably didn't

That's as maybe but the point is that she thought she did and it just made her more belligerent. You cannot reason with people like that.

You could have put up a fence

I like this one !
    We were in a cul de sac with open plan gardens and a parking place in front of each house. Fences were not allowed and even if we had been able to erect a fence around the lawn it would have made no difference to them sitting on the car etc.

Ultimately got an injunction to keep them off your property

Its an idea but it would have been useless! I'm sure it wouldn't have helped if they decided to come round at 3am and slash my tyres.

'Or call the police' I did.
    'So take her to court' Again, not going to help if they decide to put my windows through.

]Ultimately theres plenty of options]

Well I no longer have to put up with the feral family but I'm sure other posters with the same problems would be delighted to hear of any suggestions you may have as long as they don't inflame the situation or cause retaliation.

Did you ever follow it up, make a complaint

Yes I did, I rang and complained and then I spoke to one of the community police when I saw them out in the village. the answers 'We cant be everywhere'.
    Of course I could have gone to the media but how that would help me I don't know.

Well thats criminal damage, why did you do that, lucky you weren't charged

Yes its criminal damage just as damaging my car is.
    The reason I did it- Because I had had enough and if I could have caught the little s--- I would have probably committed another crime.
    the policeman who came said 'Well I wouldn't recommend you do it again but I can fully understand. This particular family come to our attention repeatedly'.

Lots of people live in situations similar to the one I was in. You cannot reason with some people and going out politely saying 'would you please not stand on my lawn or my car' whilst the adults were egging them on would be very unlikely to get positive results.

Quite how you think getting an injunction, then taking then to court when its ignored helps on a day when its hell to be in your own home.
    So I take out an injunction against my neighbour, she ignores it, we go to court as she has ignored the injunction and they slap her with a couple of weeks in jail or a fine she cant pay because she is on benefits. Meanwhile her sister an her feral kids decide to take revenge.
    Yes, really useful advice!
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If its social housing, the tenancy agreement will include a section requiring them to act responsibly and not cause alarm or distress to neighbours. Approach the landlord ( the council or housing associated whichever it is) and tell them what happened. Its a serious issue. The occupants could be risking their tenancy if they don't stop. I agree with the other posters. Keep a log of incidents along with a description of the offenders. Don't get into arguments and take care re filming kids etc! It could be the parents don't realise just how, bad the kids are.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    swingaloo wrote: »
    Oh Guest, I love how you sit there pontificating and giving your words of 'wisdom' always in red for impact! - Red just contrasts well, if you prefer I can use a different colour

I don't usually bother to respond but today I don't have much else to do.
    So

Ok but she probably didn't

That's as maybe but the point is that she thought she did and it just made her more belligerent. You cannot reason with people like that. - As I said further on, nor would you have to.

You could have put up a fence

I like this one !
    We were in a cul de sac with open plan gardens and a parking place in front of each house. Fences were not allowed and even if we had been able to erect a fence around the lawn it would have made no difference to them sitting on the car etc. - Covenants aren't enforced once all the properties are sold, so the 'not allowed' would be unlikely. The car could be parked elsewhere? Obviously not every solution works in every situation

Ultimately got an injunction to keep them off your property

Its an idea but it would have been useless! I'm sure it wouldn't have helped if they decided to come round at 3am and slash my tyres. - It would actually as you could take her to court and she would face prison then, not for criminal damage, but for contempt of court.

'Or call the police' I did. - But you possibly didn't explain the situation as you should have. Ie there's a group of drunks damaging my car, vs there's a party next door and some of them have sat on my car.
    'So take her to court' Again, not going to help if they decide to put my windows through. - Probably not, but if you aren't going to stand up to them, nor involve the law. then what do you expect to happen?

]Ultimately theres plenty of options]

Well I no longer have to put up with the feral family but I'm sure other posters with the same problems would be delighted to hear of any suggestions you may have as long as they don't inflame the situation or cause retaliation. - OK, uhm pay them to be nice to you? Some people are stupid and nasty, you can either engage with them, or you can ask the law to intervene.

Did you ever follow it up, make a complaint

Yes I did, I rang and complained and then I spoke to one of the community police when I saw them out in the village. the answers 'We cant be everywhere'. - Sorry I should've been clearer. Complained in writing, officially. Not a moan on the street.
    Of course I could have gone to the media but how that would help me I don't know. - Because the police would be spurned into action.

Well thats criminal damage, why did you do that, lucky you weren't charged

Yes its criminal damage just as damaging my car is. - indeed, but they reported it in a manner that meant the police responded.
    The reason I did it- Because I had had enough and if I could have caught the little s--- I would have probably committed another crime. - so you condone violence by an adult against a child? But you wont stand up to another adult?
    the policeman who came said 'Well I wouldn't recommend you do it again but I can fully understand. This particular family come to our attention repeatedly'. - So the correct response would be, "so what are you going to do about it?"

Lots of people live in situations similar to the one I was in. You cannot reason with some people and going out politely saying 'would you please not stand on my lawn or my car' whilst the adults were egging them on would be very unlikely to get positive results. - You'd be surprised how some people react if you speak to them like humans. Now that doesn't apply to everyone, but a good policy is to be confident and positive.

Quite how you think getting an injunction, then taking then to court when its ignored helps on a day when its hell to be in your own home. - Because you get to mess up their lives legally. But apply for costs repaid via their benefits. But having them committed to prison. all whilst holding the moral high ground.
    So I take out an injunction against my neighbour, she ignores it, we go to court as she has ignored the injunction and they slap her with a couple of weeks in jail or a fine she cant pay because she is on benefits. Meanwhile her sister an her feral kids decide to take revenge. - possibly. But you just keep playing the game
    Yes, really useful advice!

I'm unclear what other advice you'd like. A telephone number for a gun dealer, a truck and a shovel?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    If its social housing, the tenancy agreement will include a section requiring them to act responsibly and not cause alarm or distress to neighbours. Approach the landlord ( the council or housing associated whichever it is) and tell them what happened. Its a serious issue. The occupants could be risking their tenancy if they don't stop. I agree with the other posters. Keep a log of incidents along with a description of the offenders. Don't get into arguments and take care re filming kids etc! It could be the parents don't realise just how, bad the kids are.

There is no law preventing taking footage of anyone, adult or child.
  • Teapot55
    Teapot55 Posts: 743 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Please move to the right thread if needed

I live near two families living in social housing in the street behind (their gardens have gates that go onto a residents car park, where I park my car) where the kids play on the play area in the middle of my road.

They always stare at any of us that walk down the road and swear at us. Or if we are driving, they purposely block the road by standing or sitting on their bikes and swear at us.
    The kids vary from 7-14 and they all scream.

No point in talking to their parents as they deny any of it. The mothers in the past have falsely accused the residents of things we haven't done. Then one of the residents said he saw one of these boys urinating against their neighbour's car!

We do only know their first names and an idea which houses they come from. Who do we report their behaviour to? The police are not bothered. Myself and a few residents want to report them anonymously.

If you remove these children, then the road will be a better place.

A couple of questions about the physical environment where you live:
    1. What's at the front of their houses - if they were to go out of their front doors instead of their back-garden gates?
    2. Is the bit they play in that is near your car a designated play-area or just free space in the residents' car park?

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • Teapot55
    Teapot55 Posts: 743 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Teapot55 wrote: »
    A couple of questions about the physical environment where you live:
    1. What's at the front of their houses - if they were to go out of their front doors instead of their back-garden gates?
    2. Is the bit they play in that is near your car a designated play-area or just free space in the residents' car park?

How are things, Scarlet Marble?

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    Also keep a dairy of events - date, times and what has happened.

I was cheesed off when they mooved their bikes so I couldn't get past?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure