Can I claim Universal Credit on top of Tax Credits?

Options
Following a recent raft of benefit cuts and drop-off in business I am left with an income of Just £88 per week, including Tax Credits.

is it possible for me to claim Universal Credit on top (as that is what now exists in this area).

I understand that all my benefits would then be converted to Universal Credit.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Enigmaman wrote: »
    Following a recent raft of benefit cuts and drop-off in business I am left with an income of Just £88 per week, including Tax Credits.

is it possible for me to claim Universal Credit on top (as that is what now exists in this area).

I understand that all my benefits would then be converted to Universal Credit.
    You asked the same question just a few days ago. The answer is still the same. You can't claim both tax credits and UC at the same time.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 June 2017 at 6:05PM
    Options
    NO.

UC incorporates TC.

So, the answer to your question is NO

See: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5669255
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    No but I'd like to see you try, I could imagine you'd cause a serious meltdown between HMRC tax credits and DWP computer systems trying to sort that out!
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    I've seen a couple of people do this and all that has happened is that DWP notify HMRC and the tax credit award is terminated the day before the DWP award starts, invariably with an overpayment of tax credits.
    IQ
  • Enigmaman
    Enigmaman Posts: 268 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    NO.

UC incorporates TC.

So, the answer to your question is NO

See: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5669255

No need to shout. I posted this thread after I saw that reply.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You posted the same question days after you posted the first question!
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options

Exactly so why ask again if you'd already read the reply?
  • Enigmaman
    Options
    More to the point, and of interest to others, is that a better off calculation showed I would get more money AND almost full Council Tax Support if I claimed UC.

I will not be doing so however until I know more about the full implications of UC. For example, I have heard self-employed people will have their earnings looked at monthly rather than as an annual total. So in a good month, we could get no UC presumably. Any ideas on this?
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 June 2017 at 12:36PM
    Options
    More to the point, and of interest to others, is that a better off calculation showed I would get more money AND almost full Council Tax Support if I claimed UC.

I will not be doing so however until I know more about the full implications of UC. For example, I have heard self-employed people will have their earnings looked at monthly rather than as an annual total. So in a good month, we could get no UC presumably. Any ideas on this?

1) You can claim CTS now, it is not dependant on a UC claim.

2) Monthly on a cash basis. Also google 'UC and Mininum Income Floor'.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-and-self-employment-quick-guide/universal-credit-and-self-employment-quick-guide

3) TC will now also look at a self-employed business to determine if it is generating a sensible profit, is organised, and regular- i.e. 'gainful self-employment'. The days when TC would subsidise unviable self-employment are coming to an end.
    See: http://revenuebenefits.org.uk/tax-credits/guidance/how-do-tax-credits-work/self-employed/
    You will eventually need to seek employment, if your business is failing. Certainly under UC this would be a likely claimant commitment condition.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Enigmaman
    Options
    Exactly so why ask again if you'd already read the reply?

Der, because I had not read the reply, obviously. (!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure