How best to remove blown bricks on garden wall...

Options
We live in a 1950s' built property and bricks in parts of our North facing garden wall have blown and need replaced.

The bricks are London Company 'Heather' and the facings on about one dozen have blown, probably from a combination of water and frost.

The wall is ten bricks high by around thirty in length with piers supporting accordingly.

My first thought was to use an angle grinder but the blade would only reach a depth of a little over 2"

Could I ask our very learned readers what their advice would be please.

Many thanks'

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it's single skinned you can go at it from both sides. Failing that a plugging chisel and hammer, unless you've got an SDS drill.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've recently had a number of spalled bricks replaced in my 1960's house. I had some spare ones left over from demolishing some brick pillars. The brickies who did it chiselled out the old bricks and surrounding mortar and then set the new bricks in and repointed. I could have done it myself but they were on site building a large garden wall for me so it was in with that.
  • BertieUK
    BertieUK Posts: 1,701 Forumite
    edited 29 June 2017 at 12:25PM
    Options
    If it's single skinned you can go at it from both sides. Failing that a plugging chisel and hammer, unless you've got an SDS drill.

Many thanks' Andy for your reply...

...do SDS Drills come in large diameters

...the Plugging chisel sounds promising, my only problem is on the other side of the wall are my wife's prized shrubs which are tight to the wall...

As you are aware being single brick I do not want to apply too much direct pressure for fear of breaking or cracking the bonding of the wall.

Regards...
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Something like an Arbortech saw will enable you to remove single bricks very neatly. If you don't want to hire (or buy) one, drill the mortar joints out with a masonry drill, and then chisel out the bricks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dYgYl0dxOo
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • BertieUK
    edited 29 June 2017 at 1:59PM
    Options
    FreeBear wrote: »
    Something like an Arbortech saw will enable you to remove single bricks very neatly. If you don't want to hire (or buy) one, drill the mortar joints out with a masonry drill, and then chisel out the bricks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dYgYl0dxOo

Many thanks' FreeBear for your input...

...This looks the way to go I must say, a lot of care and this will take away the fear of cracking the half-a-century old wall and get the job done safely.

...as they say 'think outside the circle' many thanks.

Kind regards...:)
  • BertieUK
    Options

Firefox 1956 thanks for your input.

This is a 'must to buy' for my toolbox and its reach is perfect to get through the brick.

Thanks again...:)
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    The reviews on Toolstation for this item are not great but treat it gently & it should do your job OK.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    A tungsten carbide tile-cutting blade in a hacksaw frame might work, sawing along the mortar. You probably need to get one brick out first.
  • BertieUK
    Options
    The reviews on Toolstation for this item are not great but treat it gently & it should do your job OK.

Thanks' once more Firefox 1956 : I purchased one of the above today and treating it 'with respect' it seems to be coping quite well after boring several pilot holes along the horizontal plain.

To be honest, it would be a bit much to expect this Mortar raking tool to just clean out in one sweep old mortar. If id did I would be worried about the strength of the original mortar holding the property together.

Kind regards':)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport