CCJ - dad has same name

Apologies if this is answered elsewhere. Me and my partner are currently moving from one rented property to another and were just waiting for all of our references to come back. We'd never had any trouble before so were surprised to hear that something had flagged up on my partners credit search. It seems he has a CCJ for £12,000 on his search! This is his dads, who has the same first, middle and last name as him and who obviously lived with him at some point. We've confirmed with him that it is his. The company carrying out our reference check just said they would need to liaise with Experian - they've no idea how long it will take and in the meantime our potential new landlord is most likely going to get fed up of waiting. Is there anything we can do?? It's so upsetting that we might lose out on this house through no fault of our own.
Thank you in advance

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi NurseSuzie and welcome to MSE,

If your partners dad accepts all of this and is willing to help, you may be able to move quicker. He could contact Experian, and find out what information they need to change these details. Hopefully he will have the information they need and can get the files updated reasonably quickly.

However, the issue will be if your partners dad cannot prove this is his debt or confirm things with Experian. It will take longer in this scenario to resolve because Experian will need to do more checks for data protection reasons.

Ask the new landlord to be patient. If your heart is set on this property see if there is anything else they would consider to secure it (such as a guarantor or rent up front). Good luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Thank you for your reply! We have contacted Experian today but they wouldn't tell us anything that was on my partners credit history because he doesn't pay for full membership with Experian. And alas, there are problems with the website today so it wouldn't let him upgrade to full membership! Very frustrating, luckily his dad is happy to give us something in writing claiming responsibility for the CCJ but I feel the same is going to happen when he tries to get that sent to them because he doesn't have membership. The person on the phone said this happens all the time in people with the same name, which is rather worrying and especially when nobody serms in a hurry to help you rectify it.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Don't pay for their scam membership when you can access your report for free;

Experian: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Equifax: https://www.clearscore.com
    Call Credit: https://www.noddle.co.uk
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • stockton_2
    stockton_2 Posts: 336 Forumite
    edited 1 September 2017 at 11:54AM
    You can understand why these things cause problems but it sure ain't the fault of the son. Maybe this is why Americans are prone to calling themselves George Brush "Junior" and "Senior" or Hank Marvin the Fourth. Less room for misunderstandings.
  • stockton wrote: »
    It is no fun having the same name as your dad. Mine used to open my letters thinking they were for him. I took to referring to myself as "Master" Stockton; but you can only do that for so long. One day my dad was quite irate. He went to the local library and they would not let him borrow a book until he paid the "fine". It was my fine, of course, but they still made him pay. They are still at it, I see.

You can understand why these things cause problems but it sure ain't the fault of the son. Maybe this is why Americans are prone to calling themselves George Brush "Junior" and "Senior" or Hank Marvin the Fourth. Less room for misunderstandings.

Or don't name your children after yourself. :D
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello again,

I also don't see the need to pay for a 'membership' to correct a mistake like this. I would ask Experian over the phone what evidence/ documents are required to correct this mistake. I would then send them, recorded delivery, to Experian and ask them to action this as quick as possible (explain what impact it is having).

They may require the 'declaration' from your partners dad to be sworn by a solicitor in order for it to be binding but please make sure you check exactly what you need before you spend any money.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Thanks all for your replies - very much appreciated here as we were a bit clueless!
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    stockton wrote: »
    It is no fun having the same name as your dad. Mine used to open my letters thinking they were for him. I took to referring to myself as "Master" Stockton; but you can only do that for so long. One day my dad was quite irate. He went to the local library and they would not let him borrow a book until he paid the "fine". It was my fine, of course, but they still made him pay. They are still at it, I see.

I Have the same name as my late mother. When I was a teenager a boy put a note through my door and my mother opened it, it was very embarrassing :(

To the OP. It is ultimately the landlords decision who they put in their property. If you explain to the LL/agent they might take you anyway if they are happy with everything else. We have just just been accepted for a rental where technically we should have failed due to affordability (it is £25 over :rotfl:) but we met the landlord, a nice, friendly farmer who is letting his massive converted barn at way under the going rate, my OH and he got on like long lost brothers.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure