🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

UK smartphones that work in the US?

Options
I'm going to New York for 6 days in a couple of months, so wanted to use my phone for citymapper, a bit of surfing and voip. I bought a 3GB Three Trio data bundle which roams for free in the US, but have now found that my Smart Ultra 6 won't work on 3G or 4G there, as the bands are not compatible. I'm looking for a cheapish smartphone that will work on 4G out there. Any ideas?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,106 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Look out for 3G 850/1700/1900 MHz for AT&T and T-Mobile.
    Their 4G/LTE bands are similar but slightly more complicated (700 MHz for example)

If you are in New York city only (not upstate) you could probably get by with an offline GPS map and free Wifi though.
  • ahxcjb
    ahxcjb Posts: 209 Forumite
    Options
    Your phones band support is dire. It only supports LTE band 3(1800), 7(2600), 20(800), neither of which are used by T-Mobile or AT&T.

You will have HSPA+ coverage at best.
  • ahxcjb
    ahxcjb Posts: 209 Forumite
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    Their 4G/LTE bands are similar but slightly more complicated (700 MHz for example)

Absolutely and complete nonsense.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »

LOL

What does similar but more complicated mean?

The only difference is the frequency, the lowest in use in the UK is 800Mhz, whereas the US cleared 700Mhz for usage there. There's nothing complicated about it, if the phone is compatible it works just the same as here.
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family