IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Civil Enforcement (CEL) Defence - Help please

Options
1234568»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    An application under CPR 27.14 (2)(g) would cost £100 - but if you were to raise a simple new claim using MCOL for costs now instead it would be £25. It would probably be an easier sell than 27.14 too.

Depends if you want another 6 months of paperwork.
  • Peperlini
    Peperlini Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks @http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/member.php?u=2350979

That!!!8217;s an interesting idea, but you are right - I just don!!!8217;t think I can invest any more brain power in this.

Plus, even if I only pay £25 on MCOL, if I don!!!8217;t get anywhere with it, that!!!8217;s only £5 less than the original ticket. This would smart a bit when I!!!8217;ve done nothing wrong.

Thanks anyway, hopefully others will get a more sympathetic judge and be successful!
  • Peperlini
    Options
    Not sure what!!!8217;s happening with my apostrophes!!
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,333 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Peperlini wrote: »
    Not sure what!!!8217;s happening with my apostrophes!!
    Are you using an Apple device with "Smart" Punctuation turned on?
  • Peperlini
    Options
    YES!!! Thank you Le_Kirk - I never would have found that on my own :rotfl:
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    Only just seen this peperlini.
    I've looked at Rule 38.6 and the judge got it wrong. 38.6 (set out below) says that it is automatic on a discontinuance that the D gets costs, and 38.6(3) says that this doesn't apply in small claims.
    The fact that you applied and made out all the arguments under the failure to comply with pre-action protocol and under the 27.14.2(g) unreasonable behaviour provisions clearly conceded that the court only had a discretion to award you costs (ie they were not an automatic right under 38.6). Anyway, you put up a good effort!

(1) Unless the court orders otherwise, a claimant who discontinues is liable for the costs which a defendant against whom the claimant discontinues incurred on or before the date on which notice of discontinuance was served on the defendant.
    (2) If proceedings are only partly discontinued !!!8211;
    (a) the claimant is liable under paragraph (1) for costs relating only to the part of the proceedings which he is discontinuing; and
    (b) unless the court orders otherwise, the costs which the claimant is liable to pay must not be assessed until the conclusion of the rest of the proceedings.
    (3) This rule does not apply to claims allocated to the small claims track.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure