Tripp luggage 5 year guarantee warning

Options
I purchased an Absolute Lite 11 suitcase from Tripp earlier this year. This is a hard sided case without a zip. It came with a 5 year guarantee. The second time it was used, the shell split on a corner. I returned it to the shop where the manageress told me to claim off the airline. I explained that it was fine when it came off the carousel, but split when it was put in the taxi. "Then claim off the taxi" she told me. She explained that the 5 year guarantee is worthless as in her words "There is always someone to blame". I was very annoyed at paying over £100 for a suitcase that couldn't survive being used and emailed Tripp and told them what I thought of their fake guarantee.
Tripp emailed me back and after a couple of emails and 5 photographs of the suitcase, agreed to send me a replacement. They assure me that I bought their top of the range suitcase and it should not have split. Still doesn't explain the awful attitude of their shop staff though. Anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• Placitasgirl
    Placitasgirl Posts: 390 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My husband and I bought a set of Tripp Luggage (not hard sided) from a large, well known high street department store beginning with a D a couple of years ago. We could have gone for a far cheaper brand but as we do quite a lot of travelling thought we'd buy cases that would last.

What a waste of time and money. Within a few uses the metal structures were poking through the fabric, one of the zips broke and the wheels followed suit. We enquired with the store but were told that this was "wear and tear" and our only option was to return them to Tripp for a second opinion. They eventually went to the dump.

We've since invested in some stupid expensive luggage which is still as good as new despite having been heavily used and I am now convinced that you really do get what you pay for with suitcases.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Options
    We've got a Tripp pull-along at Debenhams in Riyadh [Saudi Arabia] at least 15 years ago. We travel about 7 times a year, and it still does the job.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Tuesday wrote: »
    I purchased an Absolute Lite 11 suitcase from Tripp earlier this year. This is a hard sided case without a zip. It came with a 5 year guarantee. The second time it was used, the shell split on a corner. I returned it to the shop where the manageress told me to claim off the airline. I explained that it was fine when it came off the carousel, but split when it was put in the taxi. "Then claim off the taxi" she told me. She explained that the 5 year guarantee is worthless as in her words "There is always someone to blame". I was very annoyed at paying over £100 for a suitcase that couldn't survive being used and emailed Tripp and told them what I thought of their fake guarantee.
    Tripp emailed me back and after a couple of emails and 5 photographs of the suitcase, agreed to send me a replacement. They assure me that I bought their top of the range suitcase and it should not have split. Still doesn't explain the awful attitude of their shop staff though. Anyone else had this problem?
    They honoured the guarantee. Game over. You won.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The guarantees offered by suit case manufactures cover defects in design or production of the item, not from general wear and tear.

This from the Tripp website for their 5 year guarantee.

"Our confidence in the quality and durability of our products means that we offer a 5 year guarantee on all purchases against manufacturing and/or any structural defect. In the unlikely event of a defect occurring please return your luggage to a Tripp concession in selected Debenhams stores where we will be happy to replace it with an equivalent product free of charge. This does not include normal wear and tear.

Please note that damage caused by airline mishandling is not covered by Tripp. In this instance we advise you to contact the airline responsible as soon as possible. Tripp will be happy to assist and advise you if you require further information."
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a Karrimor backpack with a lifetime warranty at least twenty years ago. They have never even flinched at honouring their warranty. I think I may have taken it to their shop a couple of times in the twenty year period. They didn't even ask for the receipt, as who would have one after twenty years. :)
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    WAYT wrote: »
    I bought a Karrimor backpack with a lifetime warranty at least twenty years ago. They have never even flinched at honouring their warranty. I think I may have taken it to their shop a couple of times in the twenty year period. They didn't even ask for the receipt, as who would have one after twenty years. :)

Same with Tumi luggage for me - significantly higher up front investment but I travel every week and I've had handles/wheels/zips and even panels replaced with no question over the years
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Been using Tripp luggage for years only had one problem ( think it was with a lock) went back to Debenhams they said no problem we will replace it, turned out they couldn't replace the lock so they gave me a new case and as they didn't have that style any more they actually gave me an Antler case..

KLM ruined one of my Tripp cases and sent me a samsonite as a replacement the Samsonite is knackerd after 2 transatlantic flights.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,113 Forumite
    Options
    I've had to use the Tripp warranty twice (two separate items) in the last few years. Taken the items to my local Debenhams who have been great and swapped on the spot for brand new replacements with no argument. Been very impressed.
  • Tuesday
    Tuesday Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Westin wrote: »
    The guarantees offered by suit case manufactures cover defects in design or production of the item, not from general wear and tear.

This from the Tripp website for their 5 year guarantee.

"Our confidence in the quality and durability of our products means that we offer a 5 year guarantee on all purchases against manufacturing and/or any structural defect. In the unlikely event of a defect occurring please return your luggage to a Tripp concession in selected Debenhams stores where we will be happy to replace it with an equivalent product free of charge. This does not include normal wear and tear.

Please note that damage caused by airline mishandling is not covered by Tripp. In this instance we advise you to contact the airline responsible as soon as possible. Tripp will be happy to assist and advise you if you require further information."

I hardly think that splitting the second time it was used could be classed as 'normal wear and tear'. My complaint is that at the shop, the staff refused to even look at the case, they just told me it was airline damage, even when I told them it was not damaged when it came off the carousel but split later. For such an expensive case, I should not have had so much hassle to get a replacement. If anyone else gets the brush off from the shop, do what I did and contact the manufacturer direct as they finally did honour the guarantee.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tripp's ups is their 5 year guarantee, but it's so full of get-outs as to be pretty worthless.

The full price is as realistic as those in a certain sofa company, too.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure