Late Delivery Late dispatch ??

Options
Just had a late delivery.

Buyer bought 02:00
Sent tracked 1st class Royal Mail 08:00
Uploaded the tracking to Ebay minutes later.

Saw a late delivery for that item as it was delivered a full 7 days later.

"Transactions that weren't dispatched on time:" 1 - (Tracking number suggests otherwise)
"Tracking indicates late delivery" was ticked (Tracking number suggest this is correct)

How does the Ebay system work.
I thought that since you upload a valid tracking number within your seller dispatch times then all should be good as you've kept your end of the bargain.

Any thoughts on this as Ebay seem to use a double metric with delivery, i.e. dispatch time, and delivery time.

I'm thinking it would have been better to not use a tracking number, as most people do not feedback, and if they do, I suspect like myself give sellers the benefit of the doubt if a day or 2 late due to slow post. (Just had a special delivery sent to me that took 2 days).

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is a real bug bear as we sellers are judged on delivery time, not dispatch time. It is completely mis worded and frankly just another way to hit the seller.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • TKPeters
    TKPeters Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    Options
    CS used to downgrade the mark if despatched within time, I don't know if they still will do so
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JesseJames wrote: »
    Just had a late delivery.

Buyer bought 02:00
    Sent tracked 1st class Royal Mail 08:00
    Uploaded the tracking to Ebay minutes later.

Saw a late delivery for that item as it was delivered a full 7 days later.

"Transactions that weren't dispatched on time:" 1 - (Tracking number suggests otherwise)
    "Tracking indicates late delivery" was ticked (Tracking number suggest this is correct)

How does the Ebay system work.
    I thought that since you upload a valid tracking number within your seller dispatch times then all should be good as you've kept your end of the bargain.

Any thoughts on this as Ebay seem to use a double metric with delivery, i.e. dispatch time, and delivery time.

I'm thinking it would have been better to not use a tracking number, as most people do not feedback, and if they do, I suspect like myself give sellers the benefit of the doubt if a day or 2 late due to slow post. (Just had a special delivery sent to me that took 2 days).

I take it you mean Signed For and not Tracked (they are different and would give you a different path on eBay for removing the late). The latter has a collection scan......

But, assuming you mean SF, it has a delivery scan (it isn't tracked).

If you can see the POD (proof of delivery) was within the delivery estimates, eBay will remove the orange blob.

If you are using SF, don't upload tracking on dispatch. If you get a late and can disprove it using the POD, then appeal.
  • JesseJames_2
    Options
    I take it you mean Signed For and not Tracked (they are different and would give you a different path on eBay for removing the late). The latter has a collection scan......

But, assuming you mean SF, it has a delivery scan (it isn't tracked).

If you can see the POD (proof of delivery) was within the delivery estimates, eBay will remove the orange blob.

If you are using SF, don't upload tracking on dispatch. If you get a late and can disprove it using the POD, then appeal.

I am unaware that there is a difference between signed for and tracked; I thought they were one and the same?

It was 1st class recorded signed for, to be exact.
    £4.40 small parcel.

Not sure what you mean by collection scan either.

The only entries on the tracking page at Royal Mail are...
    13/06/17 08:03 SENT AT POST OFFICE
    and the next entry
    19/06/1710:20DELIVERED19/06/17
    It just doesn't seem right when Ebay knows it has been dispatched well within time, ("Within 1 working day"), and in the sellers listing it also doesn't mention delivery time.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am unaware that there is a difference between signed for and tracked; I thought they were one and the same?

£4.40 small parcel.

and the next entry
    It just doesn't seem right when Ebay knows it has been dispatched well within time, ("Within 1 working day"), and in the sellers listing it also doesn't mention delivery time.

If it was delivered by the eBay estimated delivery time then it might be worth a phone call, but if it was delayed by RM then eBay consider it our fault and the defect remains.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options

£4.40 small parcel.

and the next entry

Signed For (hasn't been Recorded for sometime) is a "signature on receipt". It isn't tracked.

Royal Mail Tracked is a business service which is fully tracked (a bit like Special Delivery) and has a collection scan.

If you use Click and Drop or Ebay postage, you should be able to print the barcoded labels, which would get a POD (proof of delivery) for free rather than the supplement you pay for SF at the moment. Is there a reason you want a signature?

Your entry shows as sent on 13th June, is that within your estimates or is it a late scan?
  • ontheup1972
    ontheup1972 Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    The OP stated ordered at 2am and dispatched at 8am, so that scan at the post office should be enough to get it removed as it's same day. That's one advantage of sending SF at a post office rather than through DMO - there is usually dispatch scan, though the ebay system doesn't seem to recognise it.

Regarding your tracked mail, how do you get a collection scan? When I look at the tracking on mine the first entry always says "pre advice received" which I've worked out is generated when I run the end of day process. Then the postie picks the mail up and scans my collection point, but that doesn't show on the tracking. The next entry is the following day at the outbound mail centre?

When you say collection scan, do you mean the "pre advice received" entry? And does that count as an on time dispatch on ebay?
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    The OP stated ordered at 2am and dispatched at 8am, so that scan at the post office should be enough to get it removed as it's same day. That's one advantage of sending SF at a post office rather than through DMO - there is usually dispatch scan, though the ebay system doesn't seem to recognise it.

Regarding your tracked mail, how do you get a collection scan? When I look at the tracking on mine the first entry always says "pre advice received" which I've worked out is generated when I run the end of day process. Then the postie picks the mail up and scans my collection point, but that doesn't show on the tracking. The next entry is the following day at the outbound mail centre?

When you say collection scan, do you mean the "pre advice received" entry? And does that count as an on time dispatch on ebay?

We are near a mail centre. The mail is collected and scanned within hours (always same day even if it's a 6pm pick up). The pre advice on ours usually comes midway through the scans. The pre advice scan doesn't count AFAIK you need the first proper scan from Royal Mail. We have a lorry to collect the "yorks" and only the collection notice gets scanned there, but as we're within 30 minutes of a main mail centre I guess that is why it is scanned in so quickly.
  • ontheup1972
    ontheup1972 Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    Oh right. I've only just added the tracked service, so don't know much about it yet.

Mine all look like (if you ignore the pre-advice) that they've been sent next day which is no good because I sent same day. I queried this with my account manager and she said it's normal for the mail centre scan to be mid morning next day. I send 48 by the way

Having said that i uploaded tracking numbers of 5 items to ebay about a week ago as a test, all sent monday, scanned at the outbound mail centre Tuesday, delivered Wednesday, and didn't get any late dispatch marks.

From what I can glean about how the confusing system works, is that the ebay system looks for a dispatch scan to gauge on time dispatch, and if it can't find one then it will pick up the delivery date instead (or ask the buyer during feedback if there is no tracking number).

So, I think...as I dispatch same day then if the mail centre scan is counted as the dispatch scan it would need to be the same day, otherwise I should have got 5 lates? But i didn't. Yes there was on time delivery confirmation but I think the ebay system wouldn't look for that if it already had what it regarded as a dispatch scan?

Due to this I'm wondering if the pre advice then does in fact count as a dispatch scan?
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Oh right. I've only just added the tracked service, so don't know much about it yet.

Mine all look like (if you ignore the pre-advice) that they've been sent next day which is no good because I sent same day. I queried this with my account manager and she said it's normal for the mail centre scan to be mid morning next day. I send 48 by the way

Having said that i uploaded tracking numbers of 5 items to ebay about a week ago as a test, all sent monday, scanned at the outbound mail centre Tuesday, delivered Wednesday, and didn't get any late dispatch marks.

From what I can glean about how the confusing system works, is that the ebay system looks for a dispatch scan to gauge on time dispatch, and if it can't find one then it will pick up the delivery date instead (or ask the buyer during feedback if there is no tracking number).

So, I think...as I dispatch same day then if the mail centre scan is counted as the dispatch scan it would need to be the same day, otherwise I should have got 5 lates? But i didn't. Yes there was on time delivery confirmation but I think the ebay system wouldn't look for that if it already had what it regarded as a dispatch scan?

Due to this I'm wondering if the pre advice then does in fact count as a dispatch scan?

I think the eBay system looks initially for a dispatch scan/collection and if it gets it, it doesn't look any further (with my UPS that go same day they get scanned same day and I don't have any lates) but if it doesn't get a scan on collection it goes for the delivery scan (which includes the buyer not being in and collecting 5 days later). Hence the latest.

I haven't seen the pre advice scan as having any effect (but that could be because ours is almost always AFTER the first RMT scan).

I dispatch same day but show my eBay dispatch as within 1 day, I don't have any lates. Could you change your dispatch time to 1 day on the listing but still dispatch as you do now (it won't effect any TRS or Premium discounts) and your first proper scan will be within time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure