Mobile contract on-call discounts?

Options
Boohoo
Boohoo Posts: 1,049 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Hello.

My brother is with EE for the last 2 years and his current min term contract expires on July 1st.
He has been looking at Samsung S7 or the S8 but they are a lot of money compared to the £26.99 he now pays.
He has had lots of calls from EE about upgrading but he get confused when it comes to what he is actually getting .
On Friday we were talking to a good mate of ours who works for Network Rail and the subject of mobile contracts came up and my mate is on-call 2 days a week for work and he said that he gets a good discount on his monthly contract with Vodafone and that all suppliers do that.
My brother is also on-call as he works every other Sunday and is also on-call 2 days a week in case he is needed to open up or lock up the factory and sometimes he has to call the alarm company to activate the system on his mobile but the firm pay him this back out of petty cash.
He doesn't work for the NHS or a big company as 2 years ago when he left Orange they tried to keep him and asked if he worked for them then they offer NHS discounts.
I have never heard of "on-call" mobile contract discount and i don't know what is neede to get a discount contract either.
Do these special discounted contracts exist and with what company are they with.
Any help welcomed.

Thank you.

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Many networks will offer discounts to employees of certain companies as a means of getting customers. They tend to be offered to larger companies as these have a larger number of potential customers. I'm not aware of a central list of the discounts available. Network rail and the NHS are typical of the type of employers that will attract such discounts
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Boohoo wrote: »
    Hello.

My brother is with EE

On Friday we were talking to a good mate of ours who works for Network Rail and the subject of mobile contracts came up and my mate is on-call 2 days a week for work and he said that he gets a good discount on his monthly contract with Vodafone and that all suppliers do that.

I have never heard of "on-call" mobile contract discount and i don't know what is neede to get a discount contract either.
    Do these special discounted contracts exist and with what company are they with.

It's because he works for Network Rail and nothing to do with being on call.

Many large companies have discount plans, Vodafone and EE offer them to the staff of large companies, the other networks probably do as well.
    ====
  • Boohoo
    Options
    It's because he works for Network Rail and nothing to do with being on call
    He works for a firm that works for Network Rail and has done for 5 years and has been on-call for them 5 years.
    He has also told me that the discount is not for working for a big firm it is what Vodafone give for on-call workers.
    I will see him in 2/3 days so he can show me the bills he gets with the discount on it.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Boohoo wrote: »
    He works for a firm that works for Network Rail and has done for 5 years and has been on-call for them 5 years.
    He has also told me that the discount is not for working for a big firm it is what Vodafone give for on-call workers.
    I will see him in 2/3 days so he can show me the bills he gets with the discount on it.

You can argue if you like, but it's the Vodafone Advantage Scheme, it's nothing to do with being on-call.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-advantage/
    ====
  • Boohoo
    Options
    Thank you for your reply d123.
    You can argue if you like, but it's the Vodafone Advantage Scheme, it's nothing to do with being on-call.
    Argue with who/whom ?
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're being told that the discount is for employees of large companies and is nothing to do with being on-call. That is what you're arguing with.
  • Boohoo
    Options
    I have never said that discount he gets is from Vodafone Advantage Scheme.
    Maybe he has a legacy product from Vodafone for being on-call from years ago when his discount started.

Thanks for the input and i will look at VAS and tell my brother to ask his HR if they are any schemes/discounts that his firm are with.
  • Samantha_EE
    Samantha_EE Posts: 27 Organisation Representative
    Options
    We have a great help page for anything related to EE corporate partners discounts BooHoo

Here’s the link:

http://ee.co.uk/business/large/why-ee/perk?WT.mc_id=ON_MEC_A_AffWin_PERK&WT.tsrc=Affiliate

Thanks, Sam
    Official Company Representative
    I'm an official company representative of EE. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Boohoo
    Options
    Samantha_EE thank you for that link.

I will pass it onto my brother so he can have a look.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure