Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

The Nice People Thread, No.16: A Universe of Niceness.

Options

Comments

• Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 October 2017 at 8:58PM
    Options
    Oooh, Maggie! How scary! :eek:

silvercar wrote: »
    Driving along the motorway last week and I was doing about 70 in middle lane, someone doing about 80 in outside lane gets held up by traffic ahead, so slows down to 70 and is parallel to me. Seeing that he can't speed up. He gets out his phone! And starts texting!!!! Glancing up regularly to check, but texting!! at 70 mph!
    I think you would have been perfectly justified in taking his reg number and reporting him.

(Except that might be difficult when you're driving yourself.
    Unless you get your phone out and snap him, and then dictate the number into it! :D)

Seriously, though, if you could remember the reg number, it would be worth doing. There has to be zero tolerance for people doing that.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh Maggie, what a shock! So glad you're both all right :eek: Sleeping in your clothes doesn't sound a bad idea though.

Lydia Thank goodness none of you was hurt. I'm glad it sounds as if it's going to be easy to sort out the insurance xx

The strange sky today was due to Ophelia dragging Saharan dust and particles from the wildfires in Portugal and Spain high into the atmosphere.

Three people have died in Ireland. Stay safe, everyone.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,002 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    :rotfl: At first I thought you were having a laugh when I saw the Hebrew script!

Then I scrolled down and saw the Roman script and translation! :D
    No, not that one........
    I don't think we could have coped with all those words!

No, it was the spinning top one, for children! :D

Lol.

You were meant to hit play on the tune at the top of the page and see if you recognised it.

I'm guessing this one. about a spinning dreidal.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maggie, that must have been terrifying. :eek:

I do hope you're okay tonight, and Chris, and any other Northerly, Westerly NPs.

It's really very blowy where we are even though it doesn't look too exciting on the colourful map in comparison! The section of fence that didn't go with Doris is creaking very loudly but the double glazing is doing a good job. Glad we're tucked up.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • LydiaJ
    LydiaJ Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Yes, it did look dreadful earlier, and as you said, a yellowish, cloudy sky but no rain or wind, very dark, and a very strange darkness. I was out at the time, and it gave me a feeling of great urgency to get home.

Now, it's a lot brighter, but the wind's getting up. Not unusually so at the moment, though.

Having seen the weather map a bit earlier, it looks like the centre of the depression will miss most of England, though, with the posssibe exception of Cumbria, although I dare say the rest of England will get the 'ripples'.

Anyone know how Ireland has fared so far, as they've got the worst of it, I believe?

It did that lowering yellow sky here too. The wind is picking up now, but wasn't particularly windy until quite late in the evening. I was driving back up the M5 around 8ish and it wasn't particularly windy then.
    ...won a runner-up prize...
    :T:T:T:beer::beer::beer::j:j:j
    Driving along the motorway last week and I was doing about 70 in middle lane, someone doing about 80 in outside lane gets held up by traffic ahead, so slows down to 70 and is parallel to me. Seeing that he can't speed up. He gets out his phone! And starts texting!!!! Glancing up regularly to check, but texting!! at 70 mph!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

And there was me feeling guilty for having been slightly distracted by not being familiar with the controls of the hire car. Didn't use my phone while the car was in motion though. Pulled off at one services to find out how to make the satnav stop glaring so brightly at me while it was dark outside, pulled off at a junction and found a place to park to return DS's phone call, pulled off at another services to make my ipod play the thing I wanted to listen to. No wonder I was late picking DD up!

(Don't tell the police, but I might have left the engine running while parked up dealing with the phone, because I didn't want the heater to stop blowing warm air at me. :naughty::o)
    Do you know anyone who's bereaved? Point them to https://www.AtaLoss.org which does for bereavement support what MSE does for financial services, providing links to support organisations relevant to the circumstances of the loss & the local area. (Link permitted by forum team)
    Tyre performance in the wet deteriorates rapidly below about 3mm tread - change yours when they get dangerous, not just when they are nearly illegal (1.6mm).
    Oh, and wear your seatbelt. My kids are only alive because they were wearing theirs when somebody else was driving in wet weather with worn tyres.
    :)
  • LydiaJ
    LydiaJ Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 16 October 2017 at 11:33PM
    Options
    There's a very interesting thing on the news about the discovery of the collision of two neutron stars, which has never been 'seen' before, and they recorded the sound, which was a bit like when the pod went pop! :D

??? Sound can't travel through space. They must have some kind of thing that turned the radio wave signal into a sound, or something along those lines.
    ukmaggie45 wrote: »
    Had an over-exciting afternoon:

The (huge) top of the shed in next field landed on our caravan, think it's damaged back of caravan, bounced off and flew down into next door field just by us. :eek: I'm shaking! And it didn't half give the birds a shock!

Electric and internet in that shed (belongs to our Landlord), so when the rain starts prob power will go off. Aaarrrggghhh! :(

OH phoned xxxx (our landlord, it's his shed), and he told OH that it blew off about 3 years ago and had to be fixed. They obviously didn't make a very good job of it! :(

We'd already moved some stuff to that shed in advance of moving to new caravan come January-ish, so OH went to try rescue lamps before the rain comes. (he got them but is leaving rest of stuff as it's scary out there)

He says we were lucky as it's more or less demolished *our* shed, which means that took the brunt of it all.

I'm still shaking, the noise of it hitting our caravan was incredible.
    I'm very glad I got a shower yesterday! Think I might sleep in my clothes tonight, just in case. ;):o

Landlord coming with the cavalry early tomorrow. ;):)

Oooh. What a scary time to be in a caravan, Maggie. Hope nothing else happens to you overnight.

I remember years ago trying to sleep in a tent in a storm, and not being able to drop off because I kept thinking the top of the tent was going to blow off.
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    Lydia Thank goodness none of you was hurt. I'm glad it sounds as if it's going to be easy to sort out the insurance xx
    Thanks. Have now got hire car, so waiting to hear what the verdict on my car is. :)
    The strange sky today was due to Ophelia dragging Saharan dust and particles from the wildfires in Portugal and Spain high into the atmosphere.
    Interesting. Thanks for passing that on.
    Three people have died in Ireland. Stay safe, everyone.
    What ivyleaf said.
    Do you know anyone who's bereaved? Point them to https://www.AtaLoss.org which does for bereavement support what MSE does for financial services, providing links to support organisations relevant to the circumstances of the loss & the local area. (Link permitted by forum team)
    Tyre performance in the wet deteriorates rapidly below about 3mm tread - change yours when they get dangerous, not just when they are nearly illegal (1.6mm).
    Oh, and wear your seatbelt. My kids are only alive because they were wearing theirs when somebody else was driving in wet weather with worn tyres.
    :)
  • Pyxis
    edited 17 October 2017 at 6:06AM
    Options
    Lol.

You were meant to hit play on the tune at the top of the page and see if you recognised it.

I'm guessing This one. about a spinning dreidal.
    I hadn't seen the play button! :rotfl:
    I checked... it was Sevivon, another dreidel-ly one! :D
    This one, same tune but a different parts arrangement
    Now it's in my head again! :)

LydiaJ wrote: »
    ??? Sound can't travel through space. They must have some kind of thing that turned the radio wave signal into a sound, or something along those lines.

Dunno! :D
    Just saying what they said on the news!
    It sounded like "whirr...... pop", though! :D

Funnily enough, just as I was reading your post, it came on the news again....just now!

Edit.......http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41640256
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 October 2017 at 7:53AM
    Options
    I hadn't seen the play button! :rotfl:
    I checked... it was Sevivon, another dreidel-ly one! :D
    This one, same tune but a different parts arrangement
    Now it's in my head again! :)

Dunno! :D
    Just saying what they said on the news!
    It sounded like "whirr...... pop", though! :D

Funnily enough, just as I was reading your post, it came on the news again....just now!

Edit.......http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41640256

These are gravity waves. I suspect some very heavy processing to produce something that can be heard.

They have an incredibly sensitive apparatus in a forest, two miles long, so I don’t understand how they separate the gravity waves from say a squirrel jumping onto the apparatus.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    I do hope you're okay tonight, and Chris, and any other Northerly, Westerly NPs.

I'm OK thanks, but it's catastrophic out in the garden.

It's ripped my pea plants off their supports and snapped several of the stems. I've only had a dozen of so pods off them so far and the rest were fattening up nicely, don't know if they will or not now :mad:

Other than that, all actually looked OK when I went out in the half light earlier. Will need to have a better loom when it gets lighter and the wind drops more. I had some fairly lightweight Dexion shelving units which I move around the garden as required. Spotted them starting to rock yesterday evening so I put them on the outbuilding - I dare say they'd have been flying around and bashing into things if I hadn't.

I did hear a hell of a crash around 21:00 last night but couldn't see anything amiss when I went out with a torch - looking over the fence this morning I can see that it was the domed cover of my neighbour's barbecue.

Apparently there's a fair amount of trees, cables and debris on the roads, plus a few roofs apparently but I suspect we've got off fairly lightly. The eye missed us and Ireland has taken the full brunt of it - parts of Scotland will be getting the rest I expect.
  • Pyxis
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    These are gravity waves. I suspect some very heavy processing to produce something that can be heard.

They have an incredibly sensitive apparatus in a forest, two miles long, so I don’t understand how they separate the gravity waves from say a squirrel jumping onto the apparatus.

This gives a very good account of it.

"LIGO" detected it.
    "The Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) is a large-scale physics experiment and observatory to detect cosmic gravitational waves and to develop gravitational-wave observations as an astronomical tool."

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/oct/16/astronomers-witness-neutron-stars-collide-global-rapid-response-event-ligo

"Gravity waves are distortions of space-time, and not sounds per se, but luckily these vibrations resonate at audible frequencies. So, by converting the measurements to soundwaves, LIGO scientists can “listen” to the universe. This most recent observation is far longer than any previously observed gravitational event making for some interesting ear candy."
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport