MFi3: Mortgage-free by Christmas 2010 - diary of a MFW Martian

Options

Comments

• setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    No updates in a while, as there's nothing much to report (besides reaching our MFiT target at the end of last month). Six months to go...

yay.gif well done on reaching that target - steady as she goes......
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks to both of you :) We just had our annual letter from Nationwide, letting us know that our overpayments over the lifetime of the mortgage amount to an impressive £30k (that's on top of reducing the term several times), and that we have ten moths left on the mortgage (as at 31 December) even if we don't overpay. Our interest rate goes down from 2.69% to 2.5% (old BMR), and the regular payment does up by around £40 though that makes little odds, given that we overpay anyway.

£30k and with today's low interest rates... there's a lot we could do to spruce up the house with that, it's almost tempting to stay mortgage-encumbered for a little while longer. (Bad, bad thoughts! Away with ye! Get thee behind me...!)
  • RosieTiger
    Options
    Well done - don't be tempted, get it banished !
    RosieTiger - Highest £242,000 Feb 2004 :mad:
    Lightbulb Dec 2008 £146,000 by March 2026:eek:
    MFi3T2 and T3 No 28 - Dec 2009 Start Balance £117,000
    Current Position-Fully off set by savings since March 2013
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 10 February 2010 at 8:58AM
    Options
    Okay, I was bored at work and had nothing better to do with my lunch break... :o

Mortgage free countdown

Yep, the MFD has moved again - on the grounds that now that we're free of tracker-period overpayment constraints and associated redemption penalties, I'm throwing the kitchen sink at the mortgage simply in order to get rid of it. I shall live on rice like I've never lived on rice before! ...shame it only makes a difference of one (expletive deleted) month. We've abandoned that plan - it left our budget with no room for manoeuvre at all, and it's not worth that much pain for just one month. July 2010 it is.

ION, we've started planning the big revamp-the-house project for once we're clear of the mortgage. It's a rather impressive list, and I'm hoping we can get through it without needing another mortgage!
  • Queen-Bee_2
    Options
    :rotfl: for the mortgage countdown and good luck on the last leg of your journey!
    QB
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 28 February 2010 at 5:01AM
    Options
    Wow. A mortgage with only four digits before the decimal point. A mortgage that could fit onto the credit cards! And a mere 64p interest a day.

Not long to go now...

ION, I am on a smoke-free Lent. This is helping the budget considerably. (Not to mention my health.)

:j :money: :j
  • setmefree2
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 1 March 2010 at 3:40PM
    Options
    congrats019.gif

On getting Sub £10K:T:T:T

and well done on giving up smoking. Hope you enjoy being smoke free sooo much that you don't start again:D
  • evab_2
    evab_2 Posts: 2,336 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely fantastic to the mortgage and the no smoking, well done!

Best wishes for the final leg of your journey x
  • setmefree2
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Re What you said on my thread about DVDs found a thread for you

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2277073

The 'No More Buying DVDs Until I Have Watched the Ones I Already Own' Thread
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 2 April 2010 at 11:45AM
    Options
    In not-so-good news, it appears that the house has developed a bit of a structural problem. So it looks as if we may well be putting off our mortgage-free date, annoyingly - and possibly even going backwards, depending on what comes out of the surveyor's report.

Fun times ahead... :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport