Comments

• setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Awww that smiley%20sign%20sucks.gifsmiley-thumbsdown.gif
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 8 August 2010 at 10:37AM
    Options
    Our mortgage balance now stands at the princely sum of £44.08 £1 (updated 8/8/2010), which is as close to "mortgage free" as makes no odds.

That will change fairly radically, fairly soon as we've a host of improvements to make to the house, for which we will have to remortgage - so come September we'll be MFW once more, but for now we're mortgage free!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Just read the whole of this thread - well done on all of your achievements!!:T:T:T
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • wynnvegas
    wynnvegas Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Well done Marvin. Properly inspirational. It must be an awful feeling to be looking at mortgages again. Is there no way of saving for the improvements to avoid getting a new mortgage or are they that major?

Cheers,

Billy
    Mortgage Free: 28/10/2010
    Time / Interest Saved: 18.5 years / £61,866.50
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 4 August 2010 at 10:34AM
    Options
    wynnvegas wrote: »
    Well done Marvin. Properly inspirational. It must be an awful feeling to be looking at mortgages again.

It's not that bad, actually, now we know how quickly we can pay it off! :D
    Is there no way of saving for the improvements to avoid getting a new mortgage or are they that major?

The works we're looking at cover pretty much the entire spectrum from "critical" to "nice-to-have". Some of it (such as the roof and parapets, damp coursing, plumbing, drainage, electrics) can't wait (and some of it will end up costing us more if we leave it), and given the disruption it will cause, we'd rather get as much done in one go. There is some stuff on the list that may get kicked into the long grass, though. So far we've set ourselves a maximum budget and we're applying for a One account (on the grounds of maximum flexibility) - just awaiting quotes now...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    "Threetwoone... you're back in the room."

We have an agreement in principle for a new mortgage-type thing - though it will have a zero balance for a while until the works actually start, so I'm still unsure what our mortgage start date will be. :D

New MFD: some time in 2016. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Back into the red we go... and the house is covered in scaffolding, the work's half-done and three weeks late and counting ($%^&ing weather - it's looking like a mid-January finish now), and we've had to endure some occasionally unpleasant conditions as loft insulation and heating units were removed at just the wrong time.

I really wish I'd remembered to take 'before' pictures.

ION, we did splash out a bit, and traded in the car with which we'd been having so many problems for a considerably newer (though not new) Fiesta. Betty Mk II is dead - long live Betty Mk III.

MFD #2 - still unknown.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport