HSBC Advance account application process complaint

Options

Comments

• gatters
    gatters Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure about availability, but make sure you instruct your switch to happen within 30 days of opening the account.

Once you do have your telephone/branch appointment it's at least 7 working days after that I believe.

It took me a total of 40mins on the phone, including getting my telephone/online banking sorted.

Oh and you'll need your old debit card details, as well as the sort code and account number. That wasn't obvious to me.
  • Trina90
    Trina90 Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Applied online. Got all my paperwork through from HSBC to check that all my details are correct. They weren't. They had missed a letter out of my first name. Called them up like the form asked me to, then find that I have to go in branch. Really inconvenient given that I am working when they are open.:mad:
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000 2016: £130,000 2017: £116,000 2018: £105,000 2019: £88,000 2020: £69,000 2021: £51,195 2023: MORTGAGE FREE!
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It was a prolonged process for me. So much so that I was too late for the switching bonus. I phoned and complained that I couldn't switch in time as I didn't have the information I needed. They credited my account with the £200 right away in response to my call.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When I first opened a current account with HSBC, it took weeks before I had online access. They never managed to send me a debit card for that account in over TWO years, despite me asking for one now and then. As I only used the account to get access to the Regular Saver, not having a debit card wasn't a massive problem.

When they made the Advance account available without monthly charge, I upgraded to get the higher interest rate on the Regular Saver. This was a relatively painful process as it took the best part of an hour on the phone to get the upgrade done. This time they did manage to send a debit card though, and the account has been running smoothly ever since. Mind you, I don't really use the current account, just the Regular Saver, and that was worth the hassle.
  • welshmike_2
    welshmike_2 Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    I now have the ability to carry out transactions on my account and am hoping to receive the Initial Offer Payment of £150 within 50 days of the switch completion date. I calculate that that should be before 26 August
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To balance out the adverse comments about HSBC a little, I applied for the Advance account on 27 June and in just over one week I have everything. Except the security number for internet access which I sent away for on June 30th, a week ago. The result is that so far there's no money in the account and I can't open the regular saver, though that might be possible in the branch?

I still have the switch to come!
  • Marchitiello
    Marchitiello Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Reading all these horror stories I was expecting quite a frustrating experience. I never had a personal account with HSBC but I have had a Business account with them for over 10 years. When I applied online I did not get a successful message but one that said that someone would call me within two business day to discuss some of the details of my application. On Day three when I was about to call up to find out what was going on, the debit card came in the post... not other information or confirmation that my account was opened. I called up to set up my online banking and sucesful did that in less then 15 minutes. So I cannot complaint.

NB: I have had a lot of applications over the last year or so due to reorganising all my finances and credit cards (had 9 cards a year ago, now only 6, but only 2 of these are from before the last 18 months), and started not to be immediately approved on the most recent application, but after some manual intervention, most of them turned up successful .
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    schiff wrote: »
    To balance out the adverse comments about HSBC a little, I applied for the Advance account on 27 June and in just over one week I have everything. Except the security number for internet access which I sent away for on June 30th, a week ago. The result is that so far there's no money in the account and I can't open the regular saver, though that might be possible in the branch?
    I still have the switch to come!

This may be where the nightmare begins! I've not had the security number, though it may arrive today, so I decided to bite the bullet. Got the phone number of my nearest branch and phoned for an appointment. Didn't get the branch, though its number was given via HSBC's website, got a call centre. Very difficult to get through the accent. I was told there are no appointments available in that branch in July.
  • beeebeee
    beeebeee Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I had a similar experience trying to open a business account, they said it would take about 2 weeks but so far it's been about 7 weeks since I visited the branch in Redditch and I'm no nearer transferring from my current bank. They have misinformed me, lied to me and ignored me. Helplines which don't help, chat lines which give wrong infomation, I really cannot believe the attitude of this bank to their customers...grade one plonkers...avoid like the plague if you don't want eons of your time wasted!:mad::(
  • Brewer20
    Brewer20 Posts: 395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is an old thread (well 12 months) apart from the last one and that concerns opening a business account, so different in my opinion.

My questions I hope that can be answered here, experience from others applying?

I want to open a personal HSBC Advance account in my sole name, can I do it all online?

Will I ever need to visit a branch to apply or be interviewed or provide proof/ID etc?

I'm retired so I can't offer anything much in the way of showing earnings, just my company pension, which isn't a massive amount but it's got me bank applications before and I do have the minimum £1750 to put in each month spare (well recirculate), I wouldn't do it otherwise.
    On this ^^ statement will HSBC want more info do you think?

I've got an account to switch from without DD's can I add them later or even SO's?

I've seen the application that I can do online with HSBC is it going to be that simple for me or are obstacles going to come my way do you think?

Reason for asking these questions, I just hate dealing with banks face to face (nothing to hide here) and most banks accounts I've more recently applied for have been a breeze to open online, should HSBC be the same? and my local HSBC has just closed but I'm not really bothered about that I use the PO for needy stuff like pay ins.

BTW I'm a long standing First Direct customer and so will remain so (and yes I can join HSBC despite a bank rep telling me I can't last year) it's one of my Nationwide accounts I want to ditch and switch as it's lost it's usefulness to me.

So straight forward do you think, I just hate messing around with long drawn out processes, check this check that which so far I've been lucky to not have to do?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure