Options
1234568»

Comments

• angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    I disagree -
    If hats are what they wanted then they should have contacted a professional milliner ;)
    Then the Milliner could have consulted with a cake decorator to make this hat

7d42d11fee3717ceeed37edb6fba6845.jpg
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ^^ Awesome :rotfl:
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    Shoshannah wrote: »
    I'm absolutely craving cake now.
    Me too. I could murder a slice of badly-iced sponge right now.
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would not be happy with an £80 refund

I second the advice of a poster above - a wedding cake I more about the photos and the cutting of it etc, than the actual cake itself.

Therefore, as you couldn't get these things from the wedding cake your baker provided - it wasn't actually a wedding cake, but just a "normal" cake - for serving to people without them seeing the full cake.

M&S do wedding cakes - and the traditional wedding cakes for 4 layer would range between £98 to £130.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/l/food-to-order/wedding-cakes/wedding-cakes#lightboxQuick

As this is effectively what you had then I would want £200 back.
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The cake maker charged for their services and supplied a cake, and even an invoice ..... they are therefore a professional.

Whether they are a very good one, or know how to run a business is another matter.
  • Fuzzy_Duck
    Fuzzy_Duck Posts: 1,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 July 2017 at 1:40PM
    Options
    £300 seems very cheap to me for a four tier cake. My two tier cake cost £200 and was made by a self-employed baker so I got a good deal. Hot weather will affect a cake and if the baker hadn't owned up I would have suggested checking how the venue stored it.

The fact is the bottom tiers should have been supported by dowels to prevent collapsing. A lot of people use fruit cake for a bottom tier so if your choice of cake was simply not suitable for the bottom tier that should have been explained by the baker and substituted for a different type of cake.

Given they didn't even tell you about the problem and you feel the refund offered isn't enough, by all means tell the baker how much you feel is fair. It may well be that the baker didn't make much money out of it, but if that's the case they need to sort out their pricing structure.

Edited to say I've seen the photos now and it looks like they transported it already stacked which they shouldn't have done. That said it doesn't look too bad other than you lost the bottom tier. If that was too squished to be eaten then I think it's fair to expect a partial refund to reflect the amount of cake lost.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Perhaps OP could update us regarding the refund
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hopefully they're on honeymoon laughing about the cake "debacle" (really want to say debakle but I made enough bad jokes on this thread already), and not letting it bother them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure