Spoilt wedding Cake

Options

Comments

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I agree, they way OP describes is the cake collapsed, all i see is it slightly leaning and the icing broke around where the supports were inserted.

The top three of the tiers of the cake could have been used for photos for the cake cutting. As the photos focus on the bride and groom. So unless you got a microscope out to look at the photo no one would know.

they do look very amateurish to say the least. Have you not see any of their other work? I can't bake or ice a cake for toffee but even I know that is not good enough.

If you want to see some truly awful but also some amazing cakes look here http://www.cakewrecks.com/

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    OlliesDad wrote: »
    But is it worth £220? I would suggest not.
    regardless of cost, the cake has not collapsed as the OP says on all 3 threads they have started on MSE
    The OP has changed the story in every thread. i think she just want people to agree with her and when we dont and offer advise she starts another thread hoping to get people to agree on these threads.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    Don't forget the 3rd thread because the OP didn't like peoples responses!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5665001
    I may get the popcorn out and wait for the 4th thread to appear when people again dont give her the answer she wants in thread 3
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,524 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think for the past 12-18 months you've been focussed on the wedding.

Now the wedding is out the way, you're trying to fill that void and have chosen to dedicate your spare time to pursuing this quest.

£80 is very reasonable. Take it and move on.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    OK, I've looked at the photos on the other website.

I can see your point about the bottom tier and I can see that the remaining 3 tiers aren't perfect.
    But I can't see why they weren't considered OK to show to friends & family and have photographs of you and your OH cutting it.
    But then again, I'm not viewing it with the eyes of a new bride.

You are obviously going to get a totally different set of opinions from a wedding-specific website.

I would go back to the supplier and express your disappointment about the fact that she didn't make contact with you but left you to complain to her as that is not a customer-first way to do business.

I would also bring up the subject of the fact that raspberries were missing in the bottom tier but were in the tasting session so it's not just an issue of the physical appearance of the cake..
    I'd point out that raspberries don't melt in hot weather. ;)

Looking at the top 3 tiers I'd say that asking for a full refund isn't fair but maybe push for a 50% refund (£150) and be prepared to settle for £100.
    You need to think about what you are going to do if she won't budge.
    She may be reading what you've posted. :eek:
    Be very careful what you put into the public domain otherwise a duff wedding cake may be the least of your worries.

I know you've taken exception to some posters who've offered this advice - to move on - but I really would try to resolve this quickly otherwise it will sour your memories.

I worked with someone who had an issue with some of her wedding photographs.
    It consumed her from the moment she received them from the photographer and when anyone asked how the wedding had gone she didn't say what a lovely day it had been, it was a tirade about 'the photos'.
    She admitted to me months later that she wished she had let it go.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So, the gist of all these threads started by the OP is not "is the offer fair" but "what is the maximum I can get". My sympathy and understanding has dropped right down the scale. Carry on making a fuss and spoil all your memories or accept the offer and get on with your life.
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    On seeing the pictures, I now take back my earlier comments.

The cake is not that bad that you couldn't still have done photos of the cake cutting etc, and a good enough photographer would have got a good angle and been able to edit out most of the flaws.

£80 seems reasonable.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If this is a professional baker shouldn't they have insurance for this kind of thing?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    If this is a professional baker shouldn't they have insurance for this kind of thing?
    A post on one of the other threads - FTR not by the OP - refers to the cake maker as 'a hobby baker'.

The OP says on this thread:
    evherkes wrote: »
    The baker only bakes cakes, an at home business with food safety and the ratings etc.

It really doesn't sound like a professional baker.

I've also read that she transported the cake ready assembled.
    Can you imagine driving anywhere with a 4 tier wedding cake in the back?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    A post on one of the other threads - FTR not by the OP - refers to the cake maker as 'a hobby baker'.

The OP says on this thread:

It really doesn't sound like a professional baker.

I've also read that she transported the cake ready assembled.
    Can you imagine driving anywhere with a 4 tier wedding cake in the back?

If that's correct I wonder how much a professional baker would charge to do the job, well professionally?

If th OP were to take it as far as a small claim several factors would influence any award. Did the OP consume the cake? It sounds like they did so a full refund is a none starter, some value has been had from the cake. The OP would be expected, at minimum, to pay for the ingredients and overheads for the goods consumed.

Next the quality of work. Is this a professional working to a professional standard or an enthusiastic amateur? It's been suggested the latter.

In short oh dear.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport