PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

FTB - HomeBuyer Report Findings - Gas and Electricity

Options
13»

Comments

• fromtheshires
    fromtheshires Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 August 2017 at 11:45AM
    Options
    You can ask if the vendor would stump up, however they can say no.

If you want the house bear the cost in mind and get it done once you move in. If you want to risk the vendor walking away, ask them to pay for it.

How much have you invested in surveys and additional electricians surveys?
    Everything from your orginal post is pretty much what a surveyor puts in every report and as others have said unless its a new build, the house wont be up to spec.

Its part and parcel of buying a pre owned house, much like the 'damp' that all surveyors manage to find in houses. If their report matches the buy price I wouldnt drop my price if I were the vendor and I would request proof if I was told the sruvey valued differently before I considered a drop.

I would also be wary of you as a buyer thinking you may try and drop the price just before exchange, meaning I would be less likely to take off the market pending exchange of contracts.

Its a fine line and for under £500.
  • harshitguptaiitr
    harshitguptaiitr Posts: 171 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    edited 16 August 2017 at 1:01PM
    Options
    I don't want vendor to drop the price but rather to get the electrical work done for a amount of less than £450....

My reasoning for doing the work BEFORE exchange of contracts is that if the electrician find more expensive repair during the process, that could potentially be known rather than finding out AFTER exchange when I am legally binding.

EDIT BELOW:
    One more thing .. I am willing to contribute £200 but want vendor to pay for the remaining £220.
  • fromtheshires
    Options
    I don't want vendor to drop the price but rather to get the electrical work done for a amount of less than £450....

My reasoning for doing the work BEFORE exchange of contracts is that if the electrician find more expensive repair during the process, that could potentially be known rather than finding out AFTER exchange when I am legally binding.

Getting them to do the work is the same as asking them to drop the price by that amount in my opinion. If its less than £450 (which you put in bold to emphasise how cheap it is) as you say why dont you pay it after you move in?

Also if I as a vendor paid for the work to be done, which in this case I wouldnt as the valuation was the same as the price paid, I would not be happy with the electrician then going to my buyer saying an additional XYZ needs doing on top at this cost.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    But, the vendor may still say no! It's a risk you take and you should have factored this into your offer price!!! Also, the property may have already been priced with this in mind.

When i purchased my property, the vendor was going to get it rewired before i moved in and exchanged, then reflect that in the price.

I said, no, i'll do it myself, so it means that I know the contractor, i know what work has been done, i know the workmanship, i know that everything is how I want it etc...
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

EDIT BELOW:
    One more thing .. I am willing to contribute £200 but want vendor to pay for the remaining £220.

The valuation you have been provided has matched your offer in the current state it is in. Why would the vendor want to pay for there to be improvements to a property that they would not benefit from?

If you came to me with that I would tell you where to go :)

IMHO you are being over-reactive with this.
  • anode_seller
    Options
    To save the transaction after you got disappointed on the electrical findings;
    - You paid for the Electrical Installation Conditions Report
    - You got an electrician to quote for the work
    - You are willing to pay 50% for the work

There is no risk in contacting EA and explaining them all you have done after getting disappointed on the electrical findings and that EA should get vendor to pay 50%

Chances are slim, but worth a try.

If vendor says no, then go ahead and pay the entire £400 bill - it will be worth it in the long run... Don't lose the transaction because of this.

Finally, let your solicitor know about this because if you doing the work before exchange of contracts then you need to be careful what if the seller walks away after work is completed but contracts are not exchanged.
  • n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have got a quotation from a different electrician to make the property for safe "electrically"

It sounds like it already is safe, just not up to current standards.:think:

Here is a quote - £0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family