PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

FTB - HomeBuyer Report Findings - Gas and Electricity

Options

Comments

• harshitguptaiitr
    Options
    Sorry - posting on an old thread.

Is it a reasonable request to ask seller to provide Electrical Installation Condition Report to justify that comments in Homebuyer report are just !!!! covering...

Also when is a good time to initiate such discussions? After vendor solicitor has issued the contract pack or before that? Before getting a mortgage offer or after that?

My viewpoint is that before vendor's solicitor has done any work, seller could easily walk away without losing a penny.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it a reasonable request to ask seller to provide Electrical Installation Condition Report to justify that comments in Homebuyer report are just !!!! coverng...
    You can ask for anything you like!

But if I were the seller I'd respond that I'm happy to permit access for your electrician to come in and inspect.

Also when is a good time to initiate such discussions? After vendor solicitor has issued the contract pack or before that? Before getting a mortgage offer or after that?
    Why wait? You serious about buying or just wasting time?

My viewpoint is that before vendor's solicitor has done any work, seller could easily walk away without losing a penny.
    and the seller's viewpoint is tht before the buyer has done all his inspections he could just walk away........
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it a reasonable request to ask seller to provide Electrical Installation Condition Report to justify that comments in Homebuyer report are just !!!! coverng...
    You can ask for anything you like!

But if I were the seller I'd respond that I'm happy to permit access for your electrician to come in and inspect.

Why wait? You serious about buying or just wasting time?

and the seller's viewpoint is tht before the buyer has done all his inspections he could just walk away........
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You want everything up to the latest specs, buy a new build, even then it may not be perfect.
  • harshitguptaiitr
    Options
    I paid for the Electrical Installation Conditions Report and the report conclusion was UNSATISFACTORY.

There was no C1 findings, but one C2 finding and I would like to get some advice please on how much would this cost:
    Installation of RCD protection on all final circuits
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 31 July 2017 at 4:07PM
    Options
    A new consumer unit will have an MCB for each circuit, and an overall RCD protecting the whole system. Plus a main isolator. Depending on the system, there may be separate RCDs (e.g. 1 for upstairs, 1 for downstairs).

Example: http://www.sg-electrics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Modern-Consumer-Unit.jpg
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I paid for the Electrical Installation Conditions Report and the report conclusion was UNSATISFACTORY.

There was no C1 findings, but one C2 finding and I would like to get some advice please on how much would this cost:
    Your electrician is WRONG.

Asking doe rcd's on ALL circuits just to give it a satisfactory condition is plain wrong. It is possible (though I admit unusual) to still install new circuits now without an rcd and comply with current regs.

I would agree now things like sockets and showers should have an rcd but there is certainly no need to upgrade say lighting circuits. you only need to update such a circuit to rcd protection if you are making alterations to that circuit.

Now it may well be the only way to get rcd's on some circuits is to replace the consumer unit, so if doing that you might as well update all circuits, but his point that ALL need an rcd in order to be classed as satisfactory is simply WRONG.
  • harshitguptaiitr
    Options
    Update on situation on this thread for electrical safety issue on homebuyer Report and on Electrical installation condition report:

I have got a quotation from a different electrician to make the property for safe "electrically".

I have been quoted 420 for replacing the existing fuse wire type distribution unit with a
    new metal clad 17th edition distribution unit incorporating RCD protection and for providing a part P certificate

I am a bit concerned because I was under impression that changing distribution unit will also require rewiring which an electrician should have quoted for and should easily see in an unfurnished property. Or maybe I am wrong here.

Is there any other certificate required when such a work is being done? So that I don't get caught out at a later stage...
  • harshitguptaiitr
    Options
    I have been quoted £420 for replacing the existing fuse wire type distribution unit with a
    new metal clad 17th edition distribution unit incorporating RCD protection and for providing a part P certificate

I am a bit concerned because I was under impression that changing distribution unit will also require rewiring which an electrician should have quoted for and should easily see in an unfurnished property. Or maybe I am wrong here.

Is there any other certificate required when such a work is being done? So that I don't get caught out at a later stage...

One more question please - should the vendor pay for this work or is this something I will have to pay for?
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Update on situation on this thread for electrical safety issue on homebuyer Report and on Electrical installation condition report:

I have got a quotation from a different electrician to make the property for safe "electrically".

I have been quoted 420 for replacing the existing fuse wire type distribution unit with a

As well as a part P certificate (only in England and Wales) you should also get an EIC, Electrical Installation Certificate.

In order to change the consumer unit, at the very least the installer will have to test the existing wiring, and may well have to correct some faults. In particular I am sure the earth bonding will need improving (it may not have any at all)

The basic wiring for the socket and light circuits etc may very well still be perfectly okay, but it is quite common to find faults on the lighting circuits.

If the installer is happy with the state of the wiring and fits a new consumer unit and issues the correct certificates you should not have anything to worry about. You can then change the switches and sockets for newer more modern ones, and then any rewiring or alterations boils down to are there enough sockets and in the right places.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure