MSE News: 'Free' mobile roaming in the EU starts on Thursday

Options
124»

Comments

• glocal
    glocal Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for these. What confuses things is that if you have a talktime/SMS allowance you are better off calling a German number while roaming in France (in my example) than from home. I suppose then if you live near a border with another EU/EEA country, it's better to switch occasionally to roaming to make international calls to other EU/EEA numbers. That's unless free roaming can't apply on the same day you connected to your home network (a restriction I saw mentioned but in my experience Three doesn't enforce).
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 July 2017 at 4:13PM
    Options
    glocal wrote: »
    Thanks for these. What confuses things is that if you have a talktime/SMS allowance you are better off calling a German number while roaming in France (in my example) than from home. I suppose then if you live near a border with another EU/EEA country, it's better to switch occasionally to roaming to make international calls to other EU/EEA numbers. That's unless free roaming can't apply on the same day you connected to your home network (a restriction I saw mentioned but in my experience Three doesn't enforce).

The EU wanted to implement a single market for telecoms, I presume if they had the power to regulate home use we might well be allowed to make calls to EEA countries from our allowances, unfortunately they can only regulate on roaming use.

As you say, a person living near a border could indeed have allowance calls to all of the EEA if they could use a roaming network signal.

NI and Eire networks comes to mind.
    That's unless free roaming can't apply on the same day you connected to your home network (a restriction I saw mentioned but in my experience Three doesn't enforce)

I haven't seen that anywhere in the EU Regs, and it wouldn't make sense. By that standard a person getting on a plane at 1am and landing elsewhere in the EEA 3 hours later wouldn't be allowed to roam until midnight which is obviously not how it works.
    ====
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is mention of "same day", but it's to do with a separate issue.

Within the EEA roaming regulations provision is made for people who live in one EEA country and commute across the border to another EEA country. As long as they connect to their home network at some point each day, they are not subject to the "use your phone abroad no more than X number of days within a certain period" rule.
  • AndyMcEwan
    Options
    I recently called my brother in France using my mobile phone as I thought well if it costs the same to call home from France while on holiday there then the same should apply in reverse, according to my provider EE it doesn't, as these are classed as international calls??? I don't understand how can it be cheaper to call the UK from France using my minutes etc, but cost a fortune (refunded after a call to EE customer care)to call France from the UK.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AndyMcEwan wrote: »
    I recently called my brother in France using my mobile phone as I thought well if it costs the same to call home from France while on holiday there then the same should apply in reverse, according to my provider EE it doesn't, as these are classed as international calls??? I don't understand how can it be cheaper to call the UK from France using my minutes etc, but cost a fortune (refunded after a call to EE customer care)to call France from the UK.
    It's very simple - the new EU regulations apply only when you are roaming; when you are in UK and make a call to another country you are not roaming and the normal international tariff applies. You were fortunate to receive a refund. Just use a cheap method of calling overseas, there are many.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • d123
    Options
    AndyMcEwan wrote: »

The EU cannot apply the regulations to national markets, i.e. At home.

The key is the fact that they are Roaming Regulations makes that point.
    ====
  • Eurotraveller2
    Options
    I have just been charged £1.25 for a call from UK to France. O2 claims roaming regulations does not cover calls from home country elsewhere in Eu. In their answer to me they said Roaming is general term .... when travelling outside the geographical coverage of the home network by MEANS of using a visited network.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have just been charged £1.25 for a call from UK to France. O2 claims roaming regulations does not cover calls from home country elsewhere in Eu. In their answer to me they said Roaming is general term .... when travelling outside the geographical coverage of the home network by MEANS of using a visited network.

Did you not even bother to read the 2 posts immediately before yours?
  • d123
    Options

Try reading the thread.

Why would you even think you were roaming if you are on your home network???
    ====
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

o2 is correct, as is their definition of roaming, You were making an international call from your home network which isn't covered by the regs,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure