Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Brexit, The Economy and House Prices (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Tromking wrote: »
    My only thought on that is which political party has stood on a platform of EEA/EFTA membership? Where`s the mandate?
    There could feasibly be as many leavers unhappy with that scenario as remainers.
    I can't see that deal happening without another GE or God forbid, another referendum.

Where's the mandate for Brexit? Surely if people had still wanted to Brexit they would have voted Tory?
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    The Tory Remainer MPs are being very quiet.......

Would they vote down a hard Brexit Queen's Speech?
  • Tromking
    Tromking Posts: 2,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    setmefree2 wrote: »
    Where's the mandate for Brexit? Surely if people had still wanted to Brexit they would have voted Tory?

The mandate for Brexit was the referendum and it could be argued 80% of voters backed that up by voting Labour and Tory last week.
    No such mandate for EEA/EFTA exists. If and when a vote in Parliament on a EEA/EFTA based deal comes, you could have MP`s voting it down for different reasons. Remain MP`s could argue, continued EU membership is still preferable and Leave MP`s could argue that its not the Brexit they envisaged.
    “Britain- A friend to all, beholden to none”. 🇬🇧
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tromking wrote: »
    My only thought on that is which political party has stood on a platform of EEA/EFTA membership? Where`s the mandate?
    There could feasibly be as many leavers unhappy with that scenario as remainers.
    I can't see that deal happening without another GE or God forbid, another referendum.

I don't think any scenario is going to be popular, irrespective of what is eventually decided.

In that situation I could see the logic for the political parties in following Hague's suggestion yesterday of booting a lot of this to a cross party commission to take the politics out of it, never going to happen though.
  • mayonnaise
    mayonnaise Posts: 3,690 Forumite
    Options
    But it appears highly likely EEA/EFTA membership will be available to us if we want it.
    Best option IMO.
    An EEA deal could be signed in a matter of weeks/months with minimal amount of further disruption.
    Referendum mandate fulfilled, everybody happy.
    Don't blame me, I voted Remain.
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mayonnaise wrote: »
    Best option IMO.
    An EEA deal could be signed in a matter of weeks/months with minimal amount of further disruption.
    Referendum mandate fulfilled, everybody happy.

If you want to cover yourself further from the point of view of those seeking a harder Brexit, you could announce it as a transitional measure for x years, while further options are investigated.

It also allows a period where we could start negotiating other global trade deals, so that if eventually we did go for a hard brexit, one would at least hope that other trading relationships were stronger to take up some of the slack (although taking up all the slack is unlikely due to geography and the current moves towards protectionism as much as anything else)
  • kabayiri
    kabayiri Posts: 22,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The negotiations could still start next week.

In truth, the early weeks will cover admin and procedural details. I never expected a mass outpouring of decisive outcomes in the early months.

It still feels far too early to judge on the hardness or otherwise until we know more about how these negotiations are progressing.

So why all the premature talk? Is that what politics is now? Pure speculation?

Then throw in the German election factor. Why would the Germans do anything other than tough posture talk (via the EU) before their own national elections? There will be German voters worried about how all this affects their own work security. They too want answers.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    setmefree2 wrote: »

Wouldn't they have voted LibDem or SNP or Green ?
  • always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Wouldn't they have voted LibDem or SNP or Green ?

I thought in England the only 2 options were Tories or Labour, other parties are too small.

Tories seem to suggest that they can deliver a Brexit that doesn't exist as continuously repeated by the EU.
    EU expat working in London
  • mayonnaise
    mayonnaise Posts: 3,690 Forumite
    Options
    The real agenda behind the 'no deal is better than a bad deal' mantra.
    But for many Conservatives, this is their real agenda: to turn Britain into a small state, low tax, low wage, corporate tax haven. And Brexit gives them the perfect cover to implement that. They can simply say that they tried to get a trade deal, but weren’t able to, so now we have no alternative but to push through these reforms. So when many Conservatives say “no deal is better than a bad deal” it is because the consequences of “no deal” would enable them to implement their preferred agenda, an agenda which would be unpalatable to the British people in a regular context.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-no-deal-privitisation-perfect-cover-for-tories-a7789141.html
    Don't blame me, I voted Remain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport