Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Brexit, The Economy and House Prices (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Not as if people have been doing nothing in the interim period. There's only so many hours in a day........

However industry-wide concerns for us is that we'll be one of the most affected industries and nobody has spoken to anyone at the lower level of the industry.

A letter I posted (recorded delivery) to DExEU has not been replied to, and I have publicly said on several occasions, as well as making the comment directly to my MP in person last year that I am willing to work with both him and the department for a favourable outcome.

On the other side of things, I have had a lot of practical support from EU businesses, with my letter to someone working for the other side being answered.

I am prepared to be the one to make a stand, even if nobody in the UK is willing or able to, and I'm able to prove I've tried to take part in achieving a favourable outcome (although won't be posting anything here that may identify myself, as it's against the rules of the site).
    💙💛 💔
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    CKhalvashi wrote: »
    However industry-wide concerns for us is that we'll be one of the most affected industries and nobody has spoken to anyone at the lower level of the industry.

That's why trade bodies, organisations and federations exist. Those that don't belong to one will struggle to be heard. Communication channels exist for a purpose.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    That's why trade bodies, organisations and federations exist. Those that don't belong to one will struggle to be heard. Communication channels exist for a purpose.

So you're saying that because I refuse to spend £15000+ on membership of an organisation that was always useless at the best of times towards smaller players I have no right to have my voice heard?

There are open communication channels, I have attempted to use them, however the government don't care. This may lead me to take a long look at my business setup and decide that I don't care about the UK's economic interests as I'm not receiving services I'm paying for, before acting accordingly.
    💙💛 💔
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    edited 2 July 2017 at 8:03AM
    Options
    So you're saying that because I refuse to spend £15000+ on membership of an organisation that was always useless at the best of times towards smaller players I have no right to have my voice heard?

There are open communication channels, I have attempted to use them, however the government don't care. This may lead me to take a long look at my business setup and decide that I don't care about the UK's economic interests as I'm not receiving services I'm paying for, before acting accordingly.

I don't think the Government don't care. I think that they are having difficulty in coping. This may be to do with everything that has happened during and after the recent election.
    The Government while hanging on to power have faced an unprecedented amount of (in some cases self inflicted) crisis.
    The Torys claimed that the Brexit negotiations are safe in their hands we can see they are not.
    The "day job" of Government has been put aside while these issues are handled and that could last all the way to March 2019.
    Some here suggested that our unique negotiating advantage would be the infighting on the EU side. This we are yet to see but the irony is all the infighting is on the British side.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • Thrugelmir
    Options

As an example Federation of Small Businesses is less than £200. Perhaps you haven't tried hard enough to find an organisation. If you network then I'm sure you'll find plenty of people who have similar concerns to yourself.
  • A_Medium_Size_Jock
    Options
    Good news for the UK fishing industry?
    Prime Minister Theresa May will pull Britain out of the 1964 London convention that allows European fishing vessels to access waters as close as six to twelve nautical miles from the U.K. coastline.
    Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union was already going to stop fishing by European boats within 12 to 200 nautical miles (22 to 370 kilometers) of British shores, but this move goes even further in terminating historic rights enjoyed by France, Belgium, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands that predate the U.K.’s own entry into the EU.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-01/u-k-to-end-half-century-of-fishing-rights-in-brexit-slap-to-eu
  • Thrugelmir
    edited 2 July 2017 at 11:52AM
    Options
    Good news for the UK fishing industry?

Seems logical. Given the wider changes. Really only impacts those areas where the coastline is close to Europe. How much is left of the UK fishing industry?
  • A_Medium_Size_Jock
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    Some here suggested that our unique negotiating advantage would be the infighting on the EU side. This we are yet to see but the irony is all the infighting is on the British side.
    Really?
    Are you just going to ignore what has been written about the varied disagreements within the EU that have been widely-reported both in this thread and in global media?
    Covering your ears, closing your eyes and humming "La la la" does not make the lack of cohesion within the EU suddenly disappear.
    A few recent examples:
    EU targets Poland, Hungary and Czechs for not taking refugees
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40259268
    Europe migrant crisis: Italy threatens to close ports as ministers meet
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40470102
    EU disagreements delay regulation of harmful chemicals
    http://sciencenordic.com/eu-disagreements-delay-regulation-harmful-chemicals
    Based on polling 10,000 members of the public and 1,800 members of Europe’s “elite” – politicians, businesspeople and journalists – across 10 member states, the report finds three main problems. The gap between Europe’s elites and the public; the growing and increasingly entrenched division within the public between liberals and authoritarians; and the utter lack of consensus among the elites over what direction the EU should be heading in.
    https://capx.co/europe-is-more-divided-than-brussels-would-have-you-believe/
  • Thrugelmir
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    The "day job" of Government has been put aside while these issues are handled and that could last all the way to March 2019.

What's the day job? Behind the Government is the whole machinery of the Civil Service.

For example. The Higher Education and Research Act 2017 was passed just before the election. The creation of UKRI is in itself is a major undertaking. With a far reaching impact. The UK is far from standing still.
  • Moby
    Moby Posts: 3,916 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business