Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Brexit, The Economy and House Prices (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hallmark wrote: »

After 30+ years the public were finally given a vote on Eu membership & you don't think they should have been. That says an awful lot about your view of democracy.

Brexit is still going to happen so don't get too happy :j:j:j

Are you happy if we have a vote on EFTA membership, or is that not democratic?
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • fatbeetle
    fatbeetle Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Then clearly you must be talking to people on other planets.

My friends and colleagues, both in Europe and the rest of the world, are aghast at all the incredible acts of self-harm this country is inflicting on itself at the moment.

Everyday I talk to people from other countries, due to the nature of my work, and the fact that I live in Australia,and I can tell you without fear of doubt, you're full of baloney mate.
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
  • mayonnaise
    mayonnaise Posts: 3,690 Forumite
    Options
    Rinoa wrote: »
    You just didn't listen did you?
    I did.
    Absolutely nobody is talking about threatening our place in the Single Market (Daniel Hannan MEP)
    Only a madman would actually leave the Market (Owen Paterson MP, Vote Leave backer)
    Wouldn’t it be terrible if we were really like Norway and Switzerland? Really? They’re rich. They’re happy. They’re self-governing (Nigel Farage, Ukip leader)
    The Norwegian option, the EEA option, I think that it might be initally attractive for some business people (Matthew Elliot, Vote Leave chief executive)
    Increasingly, the Norway option looks the best for the UK (Arron Banks, Leave.EU founder)
    Don't blame me, I voted Remain.
  • always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Speak for yourself. Not a view that I recognise from talking to friends and colleagues that live and work around the globe.

Really? I guess it depends who you talk to. If they have the same views as yours then possibly it is true. I think the idea of Brexiting is very silly and I can find plenty of people supporting such views.

I think the only scenario left for the UK is to keep pushing and Brexit to keep some sort of credibility. I fear that once Brexit is complete, there will be the sad realisation that there is nothing behind that wall.

I.e. We have Brexitted, now what?
    Those strongly believing there is this mystic nirvana must prove it with post Brexit tangible milestones and so far nothing has materialised, however the clock is ticking and March 2019 is around the corner. If they don't and successfully, there might be riots and huge divide for plunging the country into mayhem and bearing no results at all.
    EU expat working in London
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm really not up for letting the frothers back out of their boxes and making a new referendum all about immigration again.

My point was, the Brexiteers go on about democracy but are scared stiff of a second referendum :-)
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • kabayiri
    kabayiri Posts: 22,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    StevieJ wrote: »
    My point was, the Brexiteers go on about democracy but are scared stiff of a second referendum :-)

Don't have referendums with stupid questions that most people do not understand, I would suggest.

Here are some simpler questions :

- Do you worry about job security?
    - Do you blame migrants for job security in your area?
    - Do you want more immigration; less; or about the same?
    - Do you even know what the EU is / does?

I think politicians are frightened of asking blunt questions, because of the allegations which may come back. You don't really want to hear that Northern town XYZ is 90% against immigration, because it sounds racist. Basically, don't ask so you can pretend you don't know there's a problem.
  • mayonnaise
    mayonnaise Posts: 3,690 Forumite
    Options
    Looks like Hammond is going to spell out his vision of what Brexit means later today.
    Let's hope for a strong 'softest possible brexit' message from Spreadsheet Phil.
    Businesses and consumers need stability.

Retail sales figures out today don't paint a very rosy picture.
    Retail sales fell in May as shoppers began to feel the effect of higher inflation
    The Office for National Statistics said the quantity of goods bought between April and May fell by 1.2%, which was worse than economists had expected.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40285281
    Don't blame me, I voted Remain.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mayonnaise wrote: »

Retail sales figures out today don't paint a very rosy picture.

Growth cannot depend on consumer spend (and ever increasing amounts of debt forever).

Not a trend unique to the UK. Consumer debt levels in the US have returned to pre GFC levels. With those seeking assistance owing on average around $32k. Defaults on car finance in particular are on the rise.
  • always_sunny
    edited 15 June 2017 at 12:36PM
    Options
    StevieJ wrote: »

You can't have a second referendum, the cat is out of the bag.

The next [possible] referendum is whether the UK should join the EU and this will only happen after if Brexit nothing positive materialised (i.e. poorer folks, sluggish economy, no less immigration, etc). You're looking at 2025 earliest.

If Brexit turns to be the golden goose, then it may not happen at all.
  • always_sunny
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Growth cannot depend on consumer spend (and ever increasing amounts of debt forever).

Not a trend unique to the UK. Consumer debt levels in the US have returned to pre GFC levels. With those seeking assistance owing on average around $32k. Defaults on car finance in particular are on the rise.

Maybe you missed the news that wages in the UK are not going up either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport