PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbours ball damaging fence.

Options

Comments

• aife
    aife Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ulfar wrote: »
    Chainwire fence instead of a solid fence then plants or hedge close on your side. as ther plants grow let them engulf the fence. This way it makes it no longer a viable surface to kick balls against.

That's a good suggestion but didn't the OP say the fence was actually put up by a neighbour.?

Some people are just selfish - I used to have a problem with kids kicking a ball in the street and hitting my windows . Tried asking them not to and just got cheek , eventually went over to speak to their parents who just said , 'oh they're kids , they're just playing ...'
    The really annoying thing was they never played in front of their own building
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Ulfar wrote: »
    Chainwire fence instead of a solid fence then plants or hedge close on your side. as ther plants grow let them engulf the fence. This way it makes it no longer a viable surface to kick balls against.

Amended to "plants of the prickly variety" - hopefully prickly enough to puncture the balls.
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    The brainless selfishness of parents who let their kids do this astonishes me.

I had a whole summer of this the last world cup year. Two kids so useless in their goal-scoring skills that they missed virtually every time and my fence got it.

Did they think to set the goal up with the brick wall behind it instead? No.

It was so annoying, wanting to just sit and relax after work & then it would start, for hours on end.

I would shout "mind the fence" or "if you damage the fence, you're paying for it to be repaired" sternly each time it happened, and it would stop for a bit.

I suspect they came in to fetch their balls when I was out, but in the end I locked one away and they never asked for it back.

Thankfully they were tenants and moved after that year. You've probably got them next to you now.

Good luck - hope the police or the council take your valid complaints seriously.
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Having delt with EE's often, I can tell you they often simply don't see the issue and then think its an "English thing" when the letters start coming in. They then think its a racial thing and dig in. So, it might be worth while playing the long game as your mum lives there.

Go speak to him when you see him next, start up a chit chat, the weather, holidays etc.. whatever. Then drop in the fact you mum is getting frightened with the ball, it makes her jump and your worried the ball might hit her. Would they try and avoid kicking at the fence.

Just try and be nice and off hand about it, see what happens.

Be warned that if push comes to shove, your mum might well be on the losing side as the police can't be their 24/7 so only escalate if you feel there is no other choice.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PhilE wrote: »
    They've hit her in the leg already which caused her to scream, and they continued.

Technically she could call the police and say it's assault ... because it is really. That'd make them !!!!!!.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I can't see how they could reasonably think it's just a British thing. I expect we've exported football pretty much across the world - or are they making out it's a British thing to complain? I don't suppose that's true for one minute either....

Personally - I think all of that is irrelevant and they'd get an "I don't know what you're on about" type response to any comments they made along those lines and a puzzled look put on my face.

What I would say to them is to point out the penalties of one description or another I'd be looking for if they hurt my mother - whether I could get the police onto them/whether I could get compensation from them/etc.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The problem is that foreigners living in the UK tend to behave as though they are still in their own country.

Remember all the issues around Polish immigrants dumping all their waste outside the front of their houses?. They did it because back in Poland that was the norm as every day the waste collector would collect the waste and take it away, so the Polish assumed it was the same over here until the local Councils started to educate them.

In your neighbours home country it might be acceptable behavior to use a fence as a goal. Until someone in authority educates them otherwise, then they will not seeing as an issue.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can't see why you think a wall will be a better option than a fence. A lot of expense and nothing to gain, unless the wall is higher than the fence?
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    I can't see why you think a wall will be a better option than a fence. A lot of expense and nothing to gain, unless the wall is higher than the fence?
    .....And without PP the maximum height is 2m.

Thinking out of the box, why not offer an incentive, like a new ball every month, if none come over?

Cheaper than a wall.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    PhilE wrote: »
    Right, this is still going on and Im fuming. Another ball has come over and its damaged plants. Right now, he says one thing to me and I might get a bit angry.

Thinking of writing a letter to keep it polite and to the point, followed by another letter saying 'if it continues, I'll be forced to take legal action.' - What action?

Right now if I speak with him a lot of anger is going to come up, which could be detrimental, I'm not always around to look at my mums property. - So you cant keep calm in situations of minor stress?

Any advice appreciated.

What other advice do you want? Kids play football and sometimes kick it over the fence. That's called LIFE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure