We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Query on Cancelled flight compensation

Hi,
In May 2017 I had booked a travel from New Castle to India through Emirates via Dubai.
My Flight from New castle to Dubai (dep time 13:45) got cancelled due to some technical reasons.Initially they said it would be delayed, but finally they cancelled.
Due to this they arranged alternate flight from Manchester at 20:30 and arranged bus service from New Castle to Manchester. Due to this delay, I reached Dubai at 7am Dubai time instead of 23:57 (Previous day). hence I missed my onward Journey to India which was scheduled at 2:00 (Dubai time).

So they gave me booking in some afternoon flight from Dubai to India, which I did not take,as I would have reached late night to India (Kolkata). I had to do Onward Jouney from Kolkata to my hometown, so reaching late night in Kolkata would not have helped as i would not get any transportation.

On my request they then gave me next days 2:00 Am flight which would reach Kolkata in Morning so that i could do my onward journey. They did provide hotel and 1 day Visa in Dubai as I had to stay from 7am to 2:00am next day.

However due to this i reached India 24 hours late and my onward plans in India got disrupted.

In this scenario would we ( Me and my wife, as we traveled together) be eligible for any compensation? Please help.
Looking for your advise . If yes then how I claim the same and what is the amount I am eligible for?

Comments

  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Hi Pravin_2611,

    As the delay took place in the EU you should be able to claim 600 euros each in compensation.

    Please download Vaubans guide (google it) and have a good read for loads of helpful information.

    Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.