Money Moral Dilemma: Should I ask a friend for my money back?

Options
13»

Comments

• nannaanna
    nannaanna Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    If you bought the sofa as a gift for them, they are entitled to keep the money that they sold it for, regardless of what you paid.

If, however, you bought it on their behalf with them agreeing to pay you back, you really needed to set up a loan agreement between yourselves for a set installment amount each week/month to ensure the legality i believe. If this was not done, i am not really sure you would be able to claim back the cost of the sofa.
  • Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    You bought a sofa for a friend. So it was a gift. They sold the sofa which belonged to them, where do you come in?
  • IngyPop
    Options
    You tried to do a nice thing for a friend by buying the sofa and now that you know it was sold shortly after, I'm assuming you don't feel your gesture was appreciated. I would fee the same! I don't think however, you have a right to the £100 as the sofa was in fact a gift and your friends can do with it what they want but I don't agree with how your friends dealt with the unwanted sofa. Selling it shortly after they received it and telling you how much they got for it was disrespectful to you and ill-mannered at best. I can only suggest, in future, to stay away from giving costly presents to friends.
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Are they going to put the £100 towards a more suitable sofa? Could the sofa not have been returned to the original shop for a full refund?
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    More information needed.

Why did you buy your friend a sofa?

Had your friend asked you to do this?

Did you buy the sofa for them on the understanding they would pay you back over time?

Did they chose the sofa you bought?

Why was it unsuitable?

Why didn't your friend tell you it was unsuitable? Was there actually something wrong with it, as if there was - they could have asked you to arrange to have it picked up and a refund issued to you?

I can't give an answer because this question is far too vague - MSE you really are annoying me this week with this one!
  • crmism
    crmism Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You say you bought it for a friend, so I assume it was in the form of a gift rather than a loan while he or she saved to pay it back. If that's the case, then the money's his/hers and you have no claim to it.

Either way, something's a bit odd when the sofa "as new" fetched less than half what you paid for it a few weeks before. Maybe you bought it from a shop, and it was sold privately. But what I don't understand is why you bought something that your friend should have known beforehand was not
    going to be suitable. Didn't he/she get to see it?!
  • FloJ07
    FloJ07 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    It sounds as though you bought this to help out a friend in which case they should have spoken to you first before selling the sofa on. It appears they have come across somewhat ungrateful and yes should of returned the money. On the other hand if it was bought as a gift then asking for money would be like asking for a present back. Either way these 'friends' are rather thoughtless! Sorry for your predicament
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure