Money Moral Dilemma: Should I ask a friend for my money back?

Options

Comments

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like you picked a really ugly sofa!

Agree that it's a very odd gift, suggest maybe alcohol or gift vouchers next time.
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Where do they even sell sofas that cheap?
    Why would you buy something like a sofa without checking that it is to their taste and liking?
    They sold it 2 weeks later. Obviously couldn't wait to get rid of it!
    I would love to see a photo of this sofa :)
    My opinion is it's their money to keep!
  • marich
    marich Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    The info doesn't tell us enough .

Is this just another half-cocked 'made-up-by-up- in-the-office' job ?

Are 'you' stupid and clueless , is your 'friend' a brazen chancer ?

Why are so many witless , greedy , small-minded and immoral people linked so closely to MSE's 'dilemma' page ?

Is this how MSE staff see 'us' ?

Must get a life and stop being drawn into these things...
  • stmartinsdiver
    Options
    If this was a gift then I'd say your friends are not friends at all if they didn't offer you the £100 they got fot the sofa assuming it was sold soon after they received it.
  • hergerbabe
    Options
    If you give someone a gift, it's theirs to do with as they please. However, I'd reassess my friendship as that was more than a little cheeky.
  • gycraig_2
    gycraig_2 Posts: 533 Forumite
    Options
    Wouldn't expect the money back but would probably discard the friend
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The result is the exact opposite of
    "Sofa, so good!"

(That joke must be worth £150 of anyone's money!)
  • what's_in_a_name?
    what's_in_a_name? Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 14 June 2017 at 2:11PM
    Options
    Whether a real situation or an 'office generated' one, people do try to do things for their friends that do not always work out. Maybe the choice of sofa was based on what the friend had previously or looked a better version. Seeking someone's input can be difficult if you are wanting to give them a surprise. The buyer must have thought there was a need, even if the gesture did not end up being as 'helpful' as intended!

It is difficult to judge the recipient's feelings about the 'gift'. Maybe they were pleased, maybe they weren't, maybe they were embarrassed? A quick sale is uncomfortable for both, especially not knowing the reason for it. Was it to get a more appropriate one? Was it just to get rid of it? The sofa, albeit it only weeks old, was effectively second-hand and would not have fetched as high a price as when bought new, Returning the sofa to the seller may have been difficult if nothing was wrong with it. It is impossible to know whether returning the sofa to the giver was considered by the recipient or whether the offer was made but rejected.

The actions of both cannot be undone but going forward may be difficult. I think the giver will have to 'let it go' for their own peace of mind - they tried to 'help', even if it was viewed as interference or controlling or unwelcome. Whether the friendship can survive or not will depend on whether both parties can talk the issue through; much easier said than done! Sadly, the phrase 'no good deed goes unpunished' comes to mind.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    As with all Money Moral Dilemmas, the answer is "no".
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    And if the OP didn't have a green username, all the responses would be along the lines of "obvious windup" "is it half term already" "DFTT".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure