PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Boiler question - Losing deposit

Options

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    update - wondered if anyone had any thoughts? We got a copy of the invoice today which contained the following overview of the cause and work needed to repair...

A seized pump, fair enough. All of that work... is taking the proverbial!

The important bit is whether it is reasonable for you to be held liable for any of it.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    I'm not sure this is the precise model the OP has, but it seems close -
    https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/professional/support/documents/greenstar-cdi-classic-combi-operating-instructions

Page 17 -
    If you isolate the power to the boiler then the anti-seizure system cannot operate. Leave the boiler isolated long enough then the pump will seize. If it would take months to happen WB would have designed the system to only do an anti-seize run once a week or so. They've designed it to run every 24 hours. You can conclude that a few days, maybe a week of not running the anti-seize protection due to power isolation could be enough for the pump to seize.

It's not rubbish or nonsense - it is a fact. The claim is plausible.

If the OP's model is the same or similar to the one above, then the claim is also supported by information in the manufacturer's instructions.

No, it's every 24 hrs because that's a simple timer function - trying to do it once a month would require a more complicated timer function which would be more liable to fail.

The issue is leaving a pump not running for months, not a few weeks. Your conclusion is wrong, it's not fact.
  • jbainbridge
    jbainbridge Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Was the deposit protected in a scheme?

Is there a valid gas certificate?
  • Hopetobedebtfree
    Hopetobedebtfree Posts: 25 Forumite
    edited 8 June 2017 at 7:00PM
    Options
    Was the deposit protected in a scheme?

Is there a valid gas certificate?

It is protected and there is a valid gas certificate
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ComicGeek wrote: »
    No, it's every 24 hrs because that's a simple timer function - trying to do it once a month would require a more complicated timer function which would be more liable to fail.

The issue is leaving a pump not running for months, not a few weeks. Your conclusion is wrong, it's not fact.

A firmware program that triggers an event once a week is more likely to fail than one triggering every day? Are you serious?

A boiler's control logic has far more complex things to worry about in comparison to remembering to do something once a week... that is a trivial function to implement.

But it is simple - the boiler was presumably fitted with an anti-seize system, it doesn't work if the power is switched off. In the same way that frost protection wouldn't work if there was no power to the system. If the OP was told not to switch the boiler off, or if the instructions made it clear this was an unsafe thing to do then there might be some liability for damage to the pump... but there are lots of 'ifs' involved in that.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Clairabella
    Clairabella Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I fail to see how it matters whether the power being turned off caused the boiler fault or not.

The OP was expecting a cleaner after they had vacated the property. The cleaner would need electricity for vacuum etc so I'm sure that OP would not have turned off the power. I find it hard to believe a cleaner would bother to turn it off. So, the last person in the property was the letting agent. Presumably they were not expecting new tenants immediately, so, possibly thinking they were doing the correct thing to protect the property may have turned off the power. I think that the OP should simply refuse to accept responsibility for the power being switched off and let the landlord try to prove that it was them.
  • Hopetobedebtfree
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    A firmware program that triggers an event once a week is more likely to fail than one triggering every day? Are you serious?

A boiler's control logic has far more complex things to worry about in comparison to remembering to do something once a week... that is a trivial function to implement.

But it is simple - the boiler was presumably fitted with an anti-seize system, it doesn't work if the power is switched off. In the same way that frost protection wouldn't work if there was no power to the system. If the OP was told not to switch the boiler off, or if the instructions made it clear this was an unsafe thing to do then there might be some liability for damage to the pump... but there are lots of 'ifs' involved in that.

Thank you both for your input. Despite the issue being blamed on a seized pump initially it appears from the invoice that at least part of the issue was a failed ignition sensor. I don't believe that this could have been foreseen and there is def nothing regarding this in the instruction manual. Mind you we were never provided with one nor where we told not to turn the switch off
  • Hopetobedebtfree
    Options
    I fail to see how it matters whether the power being turned off caused the boiler fault or not.

The OP was expecting a cleaner after they had vacated the property. The cleaner would need electricity for vacuum etc so I'm sure that OP would not have turned off the power. I find it hard to believe a cleaner would bother to turn it off. So, the last person in the property was the letting agent. Presumably they were not expecting new tenants immediately, so, possibly thinking they were doing the correct thing to protect the property may have turned off the power. I think that the OP should simply refuse to accept responsibility for the power being switched off and let the landlord try to prove that it was them.

Thanks clarabel. We did consider this but as the pictures on the check out report show that the boiler was switched off at check out (and up until this point we were still responsible for the property) it was a jon starter. We chose not to attend the check out - although we would never have thought to check the boiler switch so that's probably a moot point
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    update - wondered if anyone had any thoughts? We got a copy of the invoice today which contained the following overview of the cause and work needed to repair

Boiler issue: Boiler has been turned off previously allowing any debris to settle and set. And on turning back on has blown/shorted overheat ssors and ignition sensor. Following works have to be carried out in order to get the boiler working again:

Isolate water and gas drain down boiler. Remove boiler from property and bring to merchants for full strip down clear out and flushout as pump, plate heat exchanger and primary heat exchanger are faulty due to sludge. 
Parts replaced: Ch Pump, Aav, Plate heat exchanger, Overheat sensor, ignition sensor, Divertor Valve service and complete strip down of all internal water carrying pipework and primary heat exchanger.
    Reassemble boiler and powerflush and inhibitor.
    This has had to be done OFF SITE because of the magnitude of 

It looks to me that the LL has shot himself in the foot by sending you the invoice. The system has not been properly maintained and is sludged up causing the failure.
  • Hopetobedebtfree
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    It looks to me that the LL has shot himself in the foot by sending you the invoice. The system has not been properly maintained and is sludged up causing the failure.

Do you know how long sludge takes to build up? Could it be argued that it happened in the few days that the power was off?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure