Card payment machine agreement

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
5 replies 2.7K views
MancyMancy Forumite
7 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
Hi all, quick question.

I entered into an agreement over the phone for a card payment terminal and 4 year service.

One week down the line, I have decided that I don't need the cost and can probably do without and have asked to cancel as I'm within the 14-day cooling-off period. Company however are saying there is no cooling off period and I can't cancel. I don't even have the card terminal yet.

There is nothing in the agreement that states there is a cooling-period, but nothing that states there isn't. It does however state the contract is covered by the 1974 consumer credit act, so surely I should be able to cancel. No?

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The Consumer Contracts Regulations started in June 2014 and gives you rights to cancel in a number of areas (but not all).

Your right to cancel a service made at a distance starts the moment you enter into the contract and lasts 14 days
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • NearlyoldNearlyold Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing this is a business contract.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Mancy wrote: »
    Company however are saying there is no cooling off period and I can't cancel. I don't even have the card terminal yet.
    You are quoting the old Consumer Act, but you have obviously entered into a Business-to-Business Agreement.
    You therefore don't have this "cooling off" period you refer to.
  • societys_childsocietys_child Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree with the two previous posts, consumer regulations apply to consumers, not businesses.
  • MancyMancy Forumite
    7 Posts
    Thanks very much all
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up