Breakdown cover - Auto Aid or Start Rescue Or AA

Options
dagsky
dagsky Posts: 90 Forumite
edited 2 June 2017 at 8:45PM in Motoring
Hi all. I'm looking at getting breakdown cover but i'm confused which company to go for. I've had a look at Auto Aid, Start Rescue, AA, RAC but still can't make my mind up as all the information i would like is not clear & precise on the relevant websites, i did try to call Auto Aid for clarification but sadly the person didn't understand what i was asking or they were just more interested in signing me up!

I would like breakdown cover that covers me at home, if i am away from home i would like the choice of being taken back home or my destination or a garage of my choice. I'm not sure if Autoaid or Start Rescue attempt fixing cars as the AA or RAC and that's something i would like.

Start Rescue seems to imply that they'll only go 10 miles from where i breakdown, but further reading says if my car can't be fixed by a garage in a day then they'll pay £100 towards where i want to go, but i'd be stuck in shetlands for the day! With the AA i get stuck, can't fix it, where do you want to go, that's what i would like.

Things like stuck/broken key, wrong fuel would be nice to have covered as well.

And one last thing i can't figure out, Start Rescue ( 3 Star) is ~£29/yr AutoAid is ~£43/yr & from my reading they're both offering the same thing, start rescue does say 6 call outs a yr but nothing mentioned in the wording of autoaid.

Comments

• iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    I've always found Autaid OK. The AA & RAC are now run by venture capitalists, rather than the motoring clubs that they used to be. If you do go with either of them be aware that there may be a huge hike in premium for the second and subsequent years.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    Can only say broke down a year ago with autoaid bout 2 miles from home.

Guy arrived quickly, put the car on the back of truck and took us home. Didn't even need to reclaim. Might be different experience if 100 miles away.

Been with them for 8 odd years now.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    RAC for me, if i change it will be Green Flag. The only 2 companies that offer the cover i need.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    You can buy RAC cover using Tesco vouchers at an attractive rate assuming you have enough vouchers.
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    RAC for me, if i change it will be Green Flag. The only 2 companies that offer the cover i need.

Just out of interest what does your rac cover do over auto aid please?
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    Options
    Just out of interest what does your rac cover do over auto aid please?

I don't know if Auto Aid is personal or vehicle based cover but my RAC (Tesco vouchers £48 for Home Start, Recovery and Roadside) is personal cover. That means I am covered if driving or a passenger in a vehicle other than my own.
    Also useful because I have a "classic" fine weather/weekend car as well as my daily driver. This means if either breakdown, with me driving, I am covered.
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    Ah,

Autoaid is any car ( except 125 motorbikes )
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    Options
    Ah,

Autoaid is any car ( except 125 motorbikes )

Thanks for confirming that.:) I did check to make sure though.:o
  • dagsky
    dagsky Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for the input all, decided to go with Auto Aid on this as when i put in car reg to start rescue it went up to £58 odd, 2006 bmw!
  • takethemon
    takethemon Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just phoned LV/Britannia Rescue regarding my renewal quote of £115.
    Told them AutoAid quoted £43.
    Was informed that they could not come anywhere near that rate so AutoAid it is from now on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure