Forum Home» Motoring

Breakdown cover - Auto Aid or Start Rescue Or AA

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Breakdown cover - Auto Aid or Start Rescue Or AA

edited 2 June 2017 at 7:45PM in Motoring
41 replies 31.9K views
dagskydagsky Forumite
90 posts
edited 2 June 2017 at 7:45PM in Motoring
Hi all. I'm looking at getting breakdown cover but i'm confused which company to go for. I've had a look at Auto Aid, Start Rescue, AA, RAC but still can't make my mind up as all the information i would like is not clear & precise on the relevant websites, i did try to call Auto Aid for clarification but sadly the person didn't understand what i was asking or they were just more interested in signing me up!

I would like breakdown cover that covers me at home, if i am away from home i would like the choice of being taken back home or my destination or a garage of my choice. I'm not sure if Autoaid or Start Rescue attempt fixing cars as the AA or RAC and that's something i would like.

Start Rescue seems to imply that they'll only go 10 miles from where i breakdown, but further reading says if my car can't be fixed by a garage in a day then they'll pay £100 towards where i want to go, but i'd be stuck in shetlands for the day! With the AA i get stuck, can't fix it, where do you want to go, that's what i would like.

Things like stuck/broken key, wrong fuel would be nice to have covered as well.

And one last thing i can't figure out, Start Rescue ( 3 Star) is ~£29/yr AutoAid is ~£43/yr & from my reading they're both offering the same thing, start rescue does say 6 call outs a yr but nothing mentioned in the wording of autoaid.

Replies