PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Current rules on offering on house before selling your own? (Scotland)

Options
We are in the process of getting our flat ready to go on the market (minor touch ups) and are confident it will sell as 2 similar to ours in our estate sold within a month recently. We are in a slightly better position than those as we are on the end of the block (no neighbours to one side), off the main road, and our parking space is in arguably the best position.

Anyway, to my point...today a house has come on the market in our ideal location and well within our budget. I don't like to waste anyone's time but I'm a bit gutted we're going to miss out on it as we haven't yet sold ours and they don't often come up. I know in previous times it was possible to make an offer (bearing in mind we're in Scotland) subject to you selling yours but is this still the case?

Obviously all hypothetical at this stage as we could go and view it and not like it!

Comments

• ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes it is possible, we did it. Whether the vendor will accept such an offer is another matter. In our case the vendor gave us 6 months to find a buyer, but alas we didn't so that house went back on the market and sold to someone else.

Cost me £100 for the time my solicitor spent on it.
  • mysterymurdoch
    Options
    There are no rules. Make an offer, say you're willing to price yours to sell quickly and see what they say. If your offer is the best they may well be willing to wait a little while.
  • scottishgirl87
    Options
    Thank you both. I think we'll arrange a viewing and go from there...worst that can happen is we don't get it :)
  • ellie27
    ellie27 Posts: 1,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you both. I think we'll arrange a viewing and go from there...worst that can happen is we don't get it :)

You might not actually like the house too!

It is likely the estate agent will ask your position eg if you have it under offer or at least on the market etc.

If I was the seller and was told a viewer was coming but they don't even have their house on the market I would be a bit annoyed, but of course let you view.

I am in Glasgow, never remember heard anyone make an offer subject to them selling theirs. I woudnt accept an offer from someone who has not sold theirs (I suppose I would if I had it sitting on the market for a few months though!)

Good luck! You could have yours up on the market with home report done within a week.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should already have a solicitor lined up, I would discuss it with them to get their advice before you do something that you might regret later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure