My date stood me up and her phone just goes to voicemail

Options

Comments

• JJG
    JJG Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You realise there may be something about you that she just can't stand? That she managed to be civil through the first date but really isn't interested?

Some of these posts sound very entitled - 'you deserve better', 'kind of rude', 'not worth the effort'. Maybe she was thinking exactly the same about you.

She doesn't have to text, she doesn't have to explain. She doesn't owe you anything.

Why would you arrange/agree to a second date of that is the case? That would be extremely rude and arrogant thing to do if you had no intention of turning up.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    You realise there may be something about you that she just can't stand? That she managed to be civil through the first date but really isn't interested?

Some of these posts sound very entitled - 'you deserve better', 'kind of rude', 'not worth the effort'. Maybe she was thinking exactly the same about you.

She doesn't have to text, she doesn't have to explain. She doesn't owe you anything.

Behave yourself!
  • NCC-1701
    NCC-1701 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Maybe she had an insight into the offensive PM's the OP has sent? He does seem to be a bit of Jekyll and Hyde character and by his own admission has mental health issues?
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    JJG wrote: »
    Why would you arrange/agree to a second date of that is the case? That would be extremely rude and arrogant thing to do if you had no intention of turning up.

Well, sometimes people agree to things because they aren't great at saying no/don't want to hurt the other person's feelings/feel awkward. Maybe she felt guilty about saying no to a second date with a man who had just recovered from cancer treatment, or various bits of information from conversation had made her stop and think it wouldn't be a good idea after all once she got home?

Vaguely similar is when asked for a phone number and you feel slightly uncomfortable because of the situation - if you think that it would be a bad idea to give it out, but the reaction to refusal might be a problem, a fake number/an old number is given instead, or the caller is blocked.

I regretted not doing that once with a random at a gig, as after I'd turned down a dinner invite, then turned down a walk to a cab office, then turned down a walk to a bus stop, I was feeling a bit anxious about telling them to eff off when I was by myself in what was a fairly isolated area to come back home from, so I was daft enough to give them my phone number, thinking I'd be able to block the caller - but then found out my new phone didn't allow blocks. I assumed he'd not bother again after it went to voicemail and I didn't reply to a couple of texts, as sometimes giving people that are a bit insistent and creepy a reply just encourages them even more.

The last message saying 'I can't believe you'd do this to me' came through precisely a year later. And I hadn't even gone on a single date with him - if I'd done the internet dating thing, I'd have only found out how uneasy he made me once I was there, and I suspect I would have agreed to a second date just to get away without difficulty.

Just as well I'm not in the market anymore, really.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP I may be wrong, but you might be feeling more vulnerable about this due to your health problems at the moment. Your date, being a nurse and knowing about those problems, should have had the empathy required to understand that and contact you if she did not intend to keep the date, or at least let you know if there was a good reason not to keep it.

As none of that happened, I would let it go and move on. Not every woman is like that.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • yvonne13_2
    yvonne13_2 Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP did you get a responce?
    It's better to regret something I did do than to regret something that I didn’t. :EasterBun
  • Natcault
    Options
    This reminds me of a time I totally blew a guy off cos I slept off n lost track of time
    It was crazy cos I just set out to watch cable n pass time (so I don't sleep off n forget)... When I woke up I totally forgot I had a date n went on as if nothing had happened, I only remembered 2 days later.... It was terrible, I didn't know if to call him or not
  • Dreamnine
    Dreamnine Posts: 8,370 Forumite
    Options
    Nope - no reply to my voicemail; I think I'll just leave it at that.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
  • Dreamnine
    Dreamnine Posts: 8,370 Forumite
    edited 2 June 2017 at 9:37PM
    Options
    NCC-1701 wrote: »
    Maybe she had an insight into the offensive PM's the OP has sent? He does seem to be a bit of Jekyll and Hyde character and by his own admission has mental health issues?

Which PMs, and to whom? I no longer discuss any mental health issues beyond feeling tired or lazy as it's counter-productive.

And I may have mental health issues but I bet I earn 10 times what you do.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
  • Ash_Mc
    Ash_Mc Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    Dreamnine wrote: »
    And I may have mental health issues but I bet I earn 10 times what you do.

Wow... never had you down as this kind of guy.

Hope you have fun replying to this post that cost me ten times less to send than yours did.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure