13»

Comments

• Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 May 2017 at 8:19AM
    Options
    daytona0 wrote: »
    The experience for the group was probably bad because your "friend" went full crank on the employees instead of just sending the meal back and having it replaced! That's what most normal people do in that situation, not start having a pop at the staff! A bit of mud?! Where do you think that potatoes come from? :rotfl: Fair enough it will need a scrub, but don't be so squirmish! Just have it taken back and washed.

People make mistakes. Cope with it!

Sounds like you got 25% off, plus £50 off and then maybe some complimentary drinks?! Talk about a cheap night out! No doubt the manager of the restaurant felt intimidated by your friend who no doubt made it clear that they were "assistant manager" of another store and no doubt it was suggested that head office were going to be involved...

Certainly not something that the average punter could pull off if there was some mud on their potato ;)

Ironically, after listening to your story, I would much rather go to this "terrible" restaurant as apposed to the one where your friend works!

You are having a laff, poppet, aren't you? Mud on a spud! In a meal you've paid for!

As for the family member complaining because their own standards are acceptable and this place possibly ruined the reputation of the chain's name which could affect their own business...

Well, go on then, go to this "terrible" restaurant and I'll see if I can arrange mud on your spuds, insects on your veg and if you're very lucky some Bovine spongiform encephalopathy in your tough steak ;)
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    edited 30 May 2017 at 8:15PM
    Options
    Sicard wrote: »
    You are having a laff, poppet, aren't you? Mud on a spud! In a meal you've paid for!

As for the family member complaining because their own standards are acceptable and this place possibly ruined the reputation of the chain's name which could affect their own business...

Well, go on then, go to this "terrible" restaurant and I'll see if I can arrange mud on your spuds, insects on your veg and if you're very lucky some Bovine spongiform encephalopathy in your tough steak ;)

My partner has an allotment and mud on potatoes does not phase me in the slightest. As the user said in reply to me, each to their own ("Different people have very different food hygiene standards.")

What's with spongiform encephalopathy?? I would assume that this would be a supplier issue more than a restaurant-specific issue? The user stated that the same suppliers were used so I fail to see the relevance? Besides, does cooking actually kill off spongiform encephalopathy? I assumed that it did not.... (you should have picked a disease which came from the consumption of mud and not a tough steak; that would have given you a coherent argument!)

I should have phrased my post more eoloquently, however the bottom line was that I felt that a genuine hygiene issue should have been raised to Head Office/organisation which monitors food hygiene. The user's post seems to suggest (to me) that they were more in it for the money off and were more than happy to 'starve' to achieve this.

Though in complete fairness it is an understandable reaction, if not a bit heavy-handed. And barring the mad cow disease, I would prefer to frequent a chain pub (they all do crap food and they've messed up my meals plenty of times!) which makes the odd mistake and rectifies it as apposed to the one where an assistant manager who goes spare on the staff but seemingly doesn't report a H+S breach works... Each to their own like!
  • Sicard
    Options
    My partner has an allotment and mud on potatoes does not phase me in the slightest. As the user said in reply to me, each to their own ("Different people have very different food hygiene standards.")

What's with spongiform encephalopathy?? I would assume that this would be a supplier issue more than a restaurant-specific issue? The user stated that the same suppliers were used so I fail to see the relevance? Besides, does cooking actually kill off spongiform encephalopathy? I assumed that it did not.... (you should have picked a disease which came from the consumption of mud and not a tough steak; that would have given you a coherent argument!)

I should have phrased my post more eoloquently, however the bottom line was that I felt that a genuine hygiene issue should have been raised to Head Office/organisation which monitors food hygiene. The user's post seems to suggest (to me) that they were more in it for the money off and were more than happy to 'starve' to achieve this.

Though in complete fairness it is an understandable reaction, if not a bit heavy-handed. And barring the mad cow disease, I would prefer to frequent a chain pub (they all do crap food and they've messed up my meals plenty of times!) which makes the odd mistake and rectifies it as apposed to the one where an assistant manager who goes spare on the staff but seemingly doesn't report a H+S breach works... Each to their own like!

There's a world of difference in having a meal at home using produce from an allotment and not washing the spuds than taking family and friends out to a restaurant that you've recommended and paying for said meal and finding an uncleaned potato sitting on your plate and a tough steak. That suggests the kitchen staff haven't got a clue about not only cooking but of hygiene standards as well. I've worked in catering and that would not be acceptable to me either.

As for your implication that this should have been taken up with head office and not the staff is not the way complaints should be dealt with. In my opinion the complaint should have been made to both but the family member chose to address the problem on the spot as any member of the public should do so to bring it to the attention of how shoddy things were in the hope of them addressing these concerns for the future. Perhaps the family member didn't want the manager to potentially lose their job by not taking up the matter with head office. But had that been me I would have been embarrassed as much as the family member for the recommendation and the only way to alleviate the situation was to go down the price reduction route.

My mum had an allotment and although OCD cleanliness wasn't her thing she did make sure she washed her veg before serving.:)
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.

• maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Mud will contain vital trace elements. As it's been cooked in an oven, it will also be sterile.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,239 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My grandmother used to say ;you'll eat a pickle dirt afore you die.'
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    Sicard wrote: »
    There's a world of difference in having a meal at home using produce from an allotment and not washing the spuds than taking family and friends out to a restaurant that you've recommended and paying for said meal and finding an uncleaned potato sitting on your plate and a tough steak. That suggests the kitchen staff haven't got a clue about not only cooking but of hygiene standards as well. I've worked in catering and that would not be acceptable to me either.

Mud is mud, whether you eat at home or in a restaurant. That's my viewpoint.

I believe that's why the user said "Different people have very different food hygiene standards.", which I'm happy to agree with.
    As for your implication that this should have been taken up with head office and not the staff is not the way complaints should be dealt with. In my opinion the complaint should have been made to both but the family member chose to address the problem on the spot as any member of the public should do so to bring it to the attention of how shoddy things were in the hope of them addressing these concerns for the future.

Like I said, understandable reaction! I just deem it very heavy-handed, especially as a "excuse me squire, could you give my potatoes a good scrub please?" and a letter to head office/negative online review would have achieved the same/better outcome.

Seems to be more focus on shouting the place down, creating a bit of a negative atmosphere and getting some more money off.

That's just my opinion :) And yours isn't a million miles away from mine!
    Perhaps the family member didn't want the manager to potentially lose their job by not taking up the matter with head office.

A possible good deed overshadowed by making a huge scene about what they believe was a health risk to the general public!

Most of the general public would be more appreciative of the family member if they did in fact report it to head office, instead of what effectively would be classed as a bribe to keep quiet!
    But had that been me I would have been embarrassed as much as the family member for the recommendation and the only way to alleviate the situation was to go down the price reduction route.
    My mum had an allotment and although OCD cleanliness wasn't her thing she did make sure she washed her veg before serving.:)

Fair enough :) Each to their own. My partner also washes the veg and she puts all of the dodgy looking ones into soups which I balk at if I see her using them. But there is the occasional bit of mud.

No biggie for us :) But each to their own.
  • Sicard
    Options
    Mud is mud, whether you eat at home or in a restaurant. That's my viewpoint.

I believe that's why the user said "Different people have very different food hygiene standards.", which I'm happy to agree with.

Like I said, understandable reaction! I just deem it very heavy-handed, especially as a "excuse me squire, could you give my potatoes a good scrub please?" and a letter to head office/negative online review would have achieved the same/better outcome.

Seems to be more focus on shouting the place down, creating a bit of a negative atmosphere and getting some more money off.

That's just my opinion :) And yours isn't a million miles away from mine!

A possible good deed overshadowed by making a huge scene about what they believe was a health risk to the general public!

Most of the general public would be more appreciative of the family member if they did in fact report it to head office, instead of what effectively would be classed as a bribe to keep quiet!

Fair enough :) Each to their own. My partner also washes the veg and she puts all of the dodgy looking ones into soups which I balk at if I see her using them. But there is the occasional bit of mud.

No biggie for us :) But each to their own.

It's not really to do with hygiene. As one of your supporters has pointed out heat will have killed off any potential pathogens like these http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/770540 I think it's more to do with textures. If you enjoy cooking which I do textures are just as important as flavours. Chewing a potato flavoured with gritty mud isn't my cup of tea as I'd imagine is the same with most people who decide to dine out and pay for a meal.

Every mistake made in life has to have a consequence otherwise the mistake will never be rectified. As parents we have to administer some sort of punishment to a child who has done something wrong otherwise the child won't be able to distinquish right from wrong. It's no good delaying this reaction because the immediate impact will be lost. A good parent will explain to the child what they did was wrong and deprive the child of something they like such as sweets or pocket money. You take that concept into adulthood and in this case the restaurant manager who, if any good at their job, should oversee everything going on and ensure good standards are maintained throughout, should be punished if those standards fall way below expectations. In this case the family member chose to be the good parent, in my humble opinion, and admonished the manager and deprived them of some of their much needed income by getting a discount. In this way the immediate impact not only alleviated his embarrassing situation with the others present but punished the manager who should have been doing his job properly.

Objection, Your Honour! Supposition! Objection sustained.

Well, at least the gritty texture will sharpen your teeth for the tough steak.

Nice chatting with you ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport