Can I transfer a balance from Amex to MBNA?

Options
I believe that Amex's 15 digit card numbers mean that balances can't always be transferred as systems/customer service reps get confused.

I have an Amex-issued Amex charge card. Balance of £4k. I would like to transfer it to my new MBNA card which has a long 0% offer and a very low fee, partly for the stooze value and partly to cope with the fact I overspent last month ;).

I was able to put the 15 digit number into MBNA's website after being approved and it didn't complain. Has anyone had experience with this, though? Also, how long does it take MBNA to action balance transfers asked for just after approval (i.e. before cards arrive)?

Comments

• bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    90% of the time it goes through fine occasionally you just have to call in to do it

Transfers happen within 5 days
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    I have an Amex-issued Amex charge card.

You cannot transfer the balance of a charge card.
  • theburningcat
    theburningcat Posts: 198 Forumite
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    You cannot transfer the balance of a charge card.

Why is that? I've done it before and IIRC the process is exactly the same - new CC company does a BACS transfer to Amex and Amex process it as they would any other BACS credit.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Can you come back and update the thread whether it was possible to transfer a balance from Amex chargecard to MBNA please as this question pops up a lot.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • theburningcat
    Options
    Called them today. Apparently there was an issue earlier in the week where transfers requested on their website weren't going through but I gave them the Amex card number again and they confirmed that it will be done on Wednesday. I'll post another message when it's actually arrived but at this point I have their word it'll happen.
  • theburningcat
    Options
    The MBNA transfer was received at Amex today. No problems at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure