Keeping Help To Buy ISA after purchase

I was wondering if someone can explain something to me:

I know that in order to open a Help To Buy ISA you must not own a property.

However, I am in the situation were I will soon buy a property, and I don't really need to touch the money I have in the Help To Buy ISA as the bulk of my savings is in a different account. As the Help To Buy ISA pays by far the best interest rate, I'd like to leave it open. Is that possible? I haven't found any guidance on this anywhere at all.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    nanos wrote: »
    However, I am in the situation were I will soon buy a property, and I don't really need to touch the money I have in the Help To Buy ISA as the bulk of my savings is in a different account. As the Help To Buy ISA pays by far the best interest rate, I'd like to leave it open.
    Leaving aside the issue of whether it's possible (and if so for how long), are you really in a position where it doesn't make financial sense to claim the 25% bonus on your HTB balance?
  • nanos
    nanos Posts: 7 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    @isasmurf Thanks, I didn't see that.

@eskbanker: Oh, I'd love to do that. But as our home is just outside London it is very much subject to London house price nonsense, but above the 250k threshold to qualify for the bonus :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure