Providing proof of qualifications.

Options
After 20 plus years of working for the same company I am having a career change, Although I never had a University education, I dId well at both School and at college.

I updated my cv using my old cv from 20 plus years ago for the grades (I had forgotten what I did ) but I have moved home 3 times since I finished college and cannot for the life of me find my certificates.

This is worrying me as any potential employer is likely to want to see them.

What do I do? Does this mean I am hindered in getting a job that requires a candidate with a solid education?

Comments

• Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have only been asked once for certificates & that was when I started my further accountancy qualifications.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,867 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    After 20 plus years of working for the same company I am having a career change, Although I never had a University education, I dId well at both School and at college.

I updated my cv using my old cv from 20 plus years ago for the grades (I had forgotten what I did ) but I have moved home 3 times since I finished college and cannot for the life of me find my certificates.

What do I do? Does this mean I am hindered in getting a job that requires a candidate with a solid education?

You can get copies or, at the very least, a certified statement of results from the appropriate exam board. I think there is a small charge. In certain cases they may have been taken over or merged so you might need to do a bit of Googling to find the right one(s).
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options

I have never been asked for the ceritificates. I wouldn't even hazard a guess where they are
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They might not even ask for them, Ive not been asked to take mine although I have taken them in the past.

Maybe try asking the school/college what exam board they used when you were there.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The only qualifications I have ever been asked for are professional ones where relevant to the role. Never been asked for anything I took at school - I think after 20 years it's a fairly safe bet that you've demonstrated you can read and write.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Mrs_Optimist
    Mrs_Optimist Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the reassurance ! I left school in 1989 and the school has since been demolished (as has the college incidentally) I really wouldn't have a clue where to start to try and get copies. My grades weren't anything significant but were all A-C ( we were the second year to take GCSE'S back then so were somewhat guinea pigs.) I can't actually recall receiving actual certificates, the school liaised with the college to confirm the grades I had were sufficient for me to undertake the course I wanted to take.

I guess I will have to cross that bridge if and when I come to it. Im not claiming to have any professional qualifications as I don't have any. One role specifically said they wanted proof so I just won't apply for that as I can't currently provide it.

Thanks again, it's daunting to be job hunting after so long in one firm but I need a change.
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    I have been asked for certificates and to obtain copies was £37 per subject! I do work in the education field though, so that could be the reason. I think it is becoming more common though as candidates do sometimes embellish their qualifcations.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I was never asked to provide the certificates to prove my exam results.
  • Leo2020
    Leo2020 Posts: 910 Forumite
    Options
    Never been asked for any of mine and the highest is a HND. A lot of employers don't check unless the qualification is crucial to the role.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have been asked for certificates and to obtain copies was £37 per subject! I do work in the education field though, so that could be the reason. I think it is becoming more common though as candidates do sometimes embellish their qualifcations.

I worked for a well known University in an academic related role i.e. non teaching. The qualifications were a degree in any subject, they never asked for proof though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure