PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Repurposing Glass Food Jars

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd be interested to know which glass jars are tough enough to withstand the heat from tealights. It occured to me that using a jar might be a good way of shielding them from being extinguished by a gust of wind, if being used outside.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Someone at work bought in loads of GU glass containers. I picked up 6. I'm going to use them to put chocolate moose in when I have guest. Yay! Free dessert containers.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 May 2017 at 8:51PM
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know which glass jars are tough enough to withstand the heat from tealights. It occured to me that using a jar might be a good way of shielding them from being extinguished by a gust of wind, if being used outside.

My guess would be jam jars, because I assume they are originally filled with very hot liquid.
    Or maybe those glass jars of pate from Lidl, assuming the pate is cooked in them during the retort process?
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • wondercollie
    wondercollie Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Heinz baby food jars work for tea lights. My boys made some pumpkin faced ones when they were in cubs. Painted the jar orange and then used black to make the eyes, nose, lips.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've used the small GU ramekins for tea lights. They have a slightly curved bottom so I put a layer of fine sand in them, and then use them outside with citronella tea lights in them. I have a few dotted about and they look so pretty when it starts to get dark.

I also reuse them to make my own posh raspberry jellies, which are just frozen raspberries and raspberry jelly. They look lovely, are portable (with a bit of cling film on them) and are way, way cheaper to make than to buy.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »

My mum was a lover of Bonne Maman compotes so we used to buy them when on offer. The jars & lids are similar to the jam & marmalade ones but taller.

For the jars I haven't re-used for chutney, I've attached a ring of galvanised wire around the rim & affixed a wire handle & we've hung them (with tealights in) around the garden fence. Because the jar is taller and the top of it slighly curved inwards, they don't blow out.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I keep most glass jars, I use the little gu style ones for sauces and dips, they look nicer on the table than a bottle of ketchup, just put enough in for a single serving. I also used to use them as little dishes for my pet rats, they had their big bowls for their main dried food diet but their fresh food would go in a gu dish.

I buy herbs and spices in larger packets and then put them into jars, they are bigger that the supermarket jars so you can actually get a spoon in them and they look nicer shelf.

Before I started using freshly ground coffee beans I used to use Nescaf! and the big jars would be reused for larger amounts of spices and for storing sugar with different flavourings.

I've made my own yoghurt a few times that gets kept in jars, same for jams and cranberry sauce.

Big candle jars either get reused for candles or I use them for storing things like cotton wool balls and pads, smaller ones for cotton buds etc. In the bathroom
  • Greenqueen_2
    Greenqueen_2 Posts: 401 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A couple of years ago we had a problem with creepy crawlies in the flour so I started to transfer it into big glass coffee jars for protection.

Since then I have done the same with sugar and anything else that comes in a paper bag. My jars are all shapes and sizes because I am not loyal to particular brands, but as they are stored in the cupboard it does not matter.

I am another that is trying to avoid as much plastic as possible.
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MMF007 wrote: »
    My guess would be jam jars, because I assume they are originally filled with very hot liquid.
    Or maybe those glass jars of pate from Lidl, assuming the pate is cooked in them during the retort process?

i've used jam and pickle jars to put tea-lights in, just don't use too narrow ones cos I think you need good air flow.
    glass jars and lids I can scrub and sterilise in the oven get used here for the multitude of jams, pickles, chutneys, relishes etc I make every year. unless the glass is cracked I've never had a problem with them in the oven. tho they can be fragile when hot.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My Gü ones have lasted for years. I use them to serve up dry snacks to my little niece (on carpeted floors alone).
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback