Bathroom Radiators

Options
Hi,
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction how to resolve the problem with my towel radiators in the bathroom. They were working well when we had the heating on. We have turned the heating off and have switched on the bathroom radiators at the wall where they have a fused on/off switch but they are not coming on. We have two bathrooms and it is the same in both. I am not sure whether I need a plumber or an electrician. I have changed the fuse in the switch but no luck.
Has any one any ideas please?

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If both are not working, then they could both be fed from a separate MCB on the consumer unit.

Have you checked this?

If this is not the case, then I would suggest an electrician rather than a plumber.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    If both are not working, then they could both be fed from a separate MCB on the consumer unit.

Have you checked this?

If this is not the case, then I would suggest an electrician rather than a plumber.

Ditto. The other thing to look out for is a timer somewhere, possibly in an airing cupboard if there is one close to the bathroom?
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Suzymac
    Suzymac Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful responses.
    There is no different switch on MCB and no other timers so I guess they have just gone wrong over the winter when the main heating system was running. I will call the electrician, thank you for the advice.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 May 2017 at 6:43PM
    Options
    Suzymac wrote: »
    I guess they have just gone wrong over the winter when the main heating system was running.

It wouldn't be impossible for both of them to fail at roughly the same time, but it would be a little unlikely.

Hopefully an electrician will be able to sort it out quickly - it should only need a few simple tests taking no more than about 30 minutes in total to identify the fault.

Replacing the heaters if necessary may be a longer job, possibly involving taking the towel rails off the wall if there isn't enough clearance to remove the heater.

Edit: Also, if it is necessary to replace the heaters and you have a combi boiler (or other sealed heating system) then make sure the electrician or you check the system pressure afterwards. Draining the towel rails will mean the system pressure drops when they are refilled, and this might stop the boiler from working.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport