PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

First time renting, is this safe?

Options
Hi, I'm new to this site so please bare with me. I've recently been emailing a lady who lives in Spain about a property she is looking to rent out in the UK. Basically got to the stage where we both are agreeing to meet to sign papers BUT she, of course, wants proof that the money is there before she flies over etc. She asked me to send money to a friend of mine (she made a point of saying not to her) via Western Union to a friend and then show her a receipt of the transaction to prove the funds are available. This to me rung alarm bells as I know there are a lot of scams done via Western Union so instead I sent a screenshot of my bank account showing the funds are sitting there waiting. She ignored this on her next email, still pushing for me to go through Western Union. I completely understand her point of view on this but it'll be a fair wedge being transferred and it is a advance on wages so if it is a bit dodgy I'll be having a tight few months.. any help would be muuuuch appreciated. Thanks, Rob.

Comments

• Cliveman_Pieman
    Options
    No fupping way should you do this.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Find somewhere else to rent. I find it difficult to believe that a landlord living overseas would fly back and forth rather than just hiring a letting agent to manage the property. Have you actually been able to view the property...inside.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    She wants you to pay someone else by Western Union before signing anything?

There are three alarm bells in that sentence, for me.

Have you seen inside the property? Are you sure this is the owner? Why don't they have a UK agent?
  • gollum007
    gollum007 Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is a scam.

The name on a Western Union payment makes no difference, all that matters is the number attached to it.
    'She' is banking on the fact that she will be able to claim the payment before whoever you have sent it to does; The data on the transaction receipt will allow her to do this.

Block and move onto the next one- This is one of the most common scams in the book....
  • tom9980
    tom9980 Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've helped Parliament
    Options
    it is a scam
    When using the housing forum please use the sticky threads for valuable information.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's a scam. She isn't a landlord, and probably isn't a lady or living in Spain.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Seriously, you need to ask?
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is a very common scam. They get you because they offer to let the property at a price that seems to be cheap compared to what else is in the area. Have you been able to view inside the property because that is usually not possible because the person claiming to be the landlord doesn't own the property? If there is a picture of this property it has often been copied from an agent's advert.

Never ever pay any money for any property unless it is to an agent who is a member of professional property associations or until you have met the landlord in person. Never send money to a landlord who does not live in the country. Landlord's who live abroad let property through agents.

Do not under any circumstances send money by Western Union to anyone you do not know or to anyone who is supposed to be passing money on to someone you don't know.

See if you can find out who owns the property in question by looking for it on legitimate estate agents websites any photograph must have come from somewhere. The property may not be located in the UK. Have you been to the address and seen inside it?
  • HB58
    HB58 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sorry, I'm sure you must be disappointed. However, the only wise action is to move on and forget about this particular property.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Armour93 wrote: »
    I sent a screenshot of my bank account showing the funds are sitting there waiting.

But before you move on, check to make sure there are no details in the screenshot that would be useful to a fraudster - e.g. account numbers (of the account itself, and in any transaction descriptions).

Be aware that banks sometimes use transaction details to verify identity - e.g. "how do you normally pay your credit card bill", so even the recent transactions list can have value to a fraudster.

If you are in any doubt about the information you have given away then you need to think carefully about alerting your bank - especially if the account has a large amount sitting in it waiting to be withdrawn by someone with the right information....
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family