MSE News: Car giant Ford gears up to launch market-leading regular savings

Options

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    I think I will stop discussing about compensation on this thread as it is getting heated now.

I think that is a wise decision. Discussing compensation in relation to the RS accounts is rather premature when it hasn't been established that any customer has actually done anything wrong and furthermore Ford haven't actually said they intend to do anything.

I also want to add that I agree with the 'Winning Compensation' part of Vortigern's post. I think the problem here may be the use of language and some mutual misunderstandings. Whilst it is fine for customers who have been invonvenienced or suffered loss as a result of a company's failings to claim compensation for their loss, the thing many people would baulk at is setting out to 'win' compensation at the start of a transaction.

Compensation should be for what has happened to you, not for what you hope might happen.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ashen wrote: »
    Could you post the part where I mentioned about using a charity for "personal convenience when gaining cash incentives", if you're going to make such claims to smear me? For the record, I've never done this.
    (I apologise to others for being off-topic, but I have to respond to that)

I think you and I have inadvertantly managed to demonstrate the point that has been made here since Monday. It is possible for someone to write something with one intent, thinking what they have written is clear, only for someone else to read it and take an entirely different meaning.

My intent was only to say [you] had sought to justify the £1 DD, not that you'd actually done it - as I have no way of knowing whether you have or not. I still feel what I wrote conveys what I intended, but perhaps if I'd used the word 'individual' rather than 'personal' you'd have read it differently. One word, maybe a little punctuation, can make all the difference.

BTW the full title of the thread was "£1 DDs to Charities" and the intention of the OP was clear. (I think you may have edited the post you made above from what it originally said last night?)

Your 'off-topic' remark is also well made. This is meant to be a thread about the Ford Money Regular Saver accounts but it has drifted into a discussion about morality.

schiff and Vortigern (and others) made valuable comments which were well thought out and many people will have taken on board what they say. They also made the points in general terms, without feeling the need to make it personal. Other posters have taken a very personal approach and used language which some people would say has no place on a financial discussion forum.

I suggest a line is drawn under the discussion about the moral rights and wrongs of applying for more than one Ford RS account. We will never all agree, so it becomes pointless discussing it. It would be helpful if people who have chosen not to open more than one account would refrain from repeating the criticism of those who have.

Furthermore, this thread should be a 'safe space' where people with concerns having opened more than one Ford RS account can come and ask questions and seek advice without the fear that they will be castigated for their 'immoral' behaviour. It is only fair that people who have acted with genuine intention should be able to discuss the matter without being personally criticised.

In line with the advice you gave me the other day, could I perhaps suggest that if you want to continue the moral debate about multiple accounts you should start a new thread and give it an appropriate title to distinguish it from this one.
  • Ashen
    Ashen Posts: 592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    I fail to understand the phrase ]appalling entitlement on display towards Ford Money".If you will need to fight against an army of lawyers hired by a global company to be compensated is it called appalling entitlement ??.
    Yes, because entitlement refers to the belief someone is entitled to something, with that belief having absolutely nothing to do with the "need to fight against an army of lawyers hired by a global company". The very fact people are talking of compensation in this case is what demonstrates "appalling entitlement".
    EachPenny wrote: »
    I think you and I have inadvertantly managed to demonstrate the point that has been made here since Monday. It is possible for someone to write something with one intent, thinking what they have written is clear, only for someone else to read it and take an entirely different meaning.

My intent was only to say [you] had sought to justify the £1 DD, not that you'd actually done it - as I have no way of knowing whether you have or not. I still feel what I wrote conveys what I intended, but perhaps if I'd used the word 'individual' rather than 'personal' you'd have read it differently. One word, maybe a little punctuation, can make all the difference.

BTW the full title of the thread was "£1 DDs to Charities" and the intention of the OP was clear. (I think you may have edited the post you made above from what it originally said last night?)
    My participation in that thread was a clear attempt to discuss what the costs might be and the degree that charities could still benefit, whereas you chose to mention that in this thread in terms of being some sort of hypocritical immoral behaviour from me.
    They also made the points in general terms, without feeling the need to make it personal. Other posters have taken a very personal approach and used language which some people would say has no place on a financial discussion forum.
    Now that's an interesting comment to make, given the above.
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm trying to understand a section of the Ford RS Cash ISA T&C's. There is no section headed "Transfers Out" but there is one with the heading "Withdrawals and Termination". In that section it says -
    If the account is closed you won’t be able to re-open it or subscribe to another Cash ISA
    with us (or any other financial institution) in the same tax year.

The word 'account' is not defined, but in the context of the T&C's it appears to mean only the RS element if you have chosen to go with the split ISA approach.

If you decide to close your RS Cash ISA - or it is closed for you - then the way this section is worded suggests you would be prevented from making further subscriptions to the Flexible element of the split ISA for the remainder of the tax year. Isn't it against the rules to have a restriction like that on Cash ISA products?

Also, if you transferred out the whole of your 2017/18 subscriptions to another financial institution, why would you not be allowed to make further subscriptions to the account once it is managed by the new FI? I know you can't subscribe to a second cash ISA, but I wasn't aware you cannot subscribe to the same one when it is transferred to new management.

It isn't something I've ever done before... but I might want to this year.
  • Speculator
    Speculator Posts: 2,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wife sent ID last Tuesday. Just received email saying they've not received ID and to send ID within 48hrs.
  • gilly56
    gilly56 Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't worry, I got a letter in post on Sat. saying my online application had different date of birth from one shown on the ID that I'd posted. My mistake, so I have completed and signed a form they sent and included copy of birth certificate. They will not get it until Wed. due to bank holiday. Their letter suggested there would be no problem opening account once they confirmed correct DOB.
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Speculator wrote: »
    Wife sent ID last Tuesday. Just received email saying they've not received ID and to send ID within 48hrs.

Is this for accounts set up and funded, or applications still in progress? (apologies if you've previously said)

48 hours seems short notice :eek:
  • Speculator
    Speculator Posts: 2,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 May 2017 at 11:05PM
    Options
    Is this for accounts set up and funded, or applications still in progress? (apologies if you've previously said)

48 hours seems short notice :eek:

It's for my wife so application still in progress.

Glad she didn't send original passport! We're going back to HK mid July.

Email received today 17.24

"Thank you for applying to open a Ford Money account.

We’re looking forward to opening your account, but note that we have not received further confirmation of your identity and address. You can find out what documentation you’ll need to provide by clicking here.

The document you choose to confirm your name must show your full name, with your forename and surname written in full. Documentation to confirm your address must show your full residential address as stated in your application.

You cannot use the same document to verify both your identity and address and documents must be the most recent available. Note we’re unable to accept online bank, building society or utility statements, or ATM print-outs.

We’ll send back any original documents we receive, which we recommend you send via Special or Recorded Delivery. However, it’s safer to send us copies of your originals.

Please send these documents to our Freepost address below within the next 48 hours:
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We’re looking forward to opening your account...

That's nice and positive :)

You have to wonder how many applications have been made and not yet resulted in an open account - if there are a lot which fail to be completed then it may affect the outcome of the multiple accounts situation.
  • Cash-Strapped.T32
    Cash-Strapped.T32 Posts: 562 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 May 2017 at 12:02AM
    Options
    It's for my wife so application still in progress.

Glad she didn't send original passport! We're going back to HK mid July.

I was told on the phone (and still have the call recording should I need it later) that photocopies of the documents are sufficient, & further, the girl who I spoke to when I called in reviewed them & authorised them for the account to be opened while I was on the phone.

Not cool that yours have gone walkabout (a company "losing" our documents? Heresy I say! ;)), but in my case they really were quite good, having had the paper docs scanned & on the system inside the same day of having received them so that she could bring them up on her screen while I waited.

That said, I haven't have my confirmation email yet, and this call was on Thursday. Depending on how quickly others who needed to send in paperwork have had theirs, I'm hoping to receive it inside this coming week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure