Postage issues.

Options
Hello all - I'm relatively new to eBay (I think I've only bought about three or four items so far) so I'm not really sure what to do in this situation. I ordered an item on Thursday afternoon, and it promised 48 hour delivery.

I got a confirmation email and then a few hours later I got an email stating that the item had been posted. I was away over the weekend as I only really expected the item on Monday (when eBay stated estimated delivery). Well Monday came and went so I decided to check the tracking number provided. According to the Royal Mail website the only tracking information they had is: "we have been notified that your item is being shipped by the retailer; the next scan will appear when we receive this item into our network." I asked the Royal Mail on Twitter and this morning and they said that they don't think the item has been posted yet.

I sent the seller an email asking if they had any more information as I know that the tracking can sometimes be a little wonky. They replied telling me to wait until Friday and then contact them again if it hasn't arrived. They did also state that they'd sent the item.

I guess what I'm asking is - does this sometimes happen with the Royal Mail? I don't want to give them bad feedback if it's out of their control. Do I open a case on Friday if it still hasn't arrived? I decided to use this company primarily because they offered quicker postage. Is this something I should ask eBay about? I feel a little fobbed off but I'm sure that's not their intent.

Thank you everyone.

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unfortunately it can happen.

RMT scans will show when the item was dispatched. Do you have the tracking number - do you mind sharing it?
  • SunnyMorningDays
    Options
    I'm not massively comfortable sharing the tracking number at the moment sorry. It literally only says what I posted in the original post: "Latest update: We have been notified that your item is being shipped by the retailer; the next scan will appear when we receive this item into our network."

When I click "where has my parcel been?" it says: "STATUS: Pre-advice Received".

When I messaged the Royal Mail they said: "According to our info it hasn't yet been posted I'm afraid."
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Options
    It looks like an RMT label. We use RMT (royal mail tracked) which is for businesses. When I print the labels it generates the pre advice. That's similar to what you are saying now - just guessing as I don't see your tracking.

RMT should be (at worse) 3 working days from dispatch, if it's RMT48. Day 1 is the day of dispatch and day 3 the delivery day. That's not guaranteed but IME it is 99% correct.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Even though the seller is selling it by royal mail 48 (Second class ) on the listing what is the dispatch time??
    Work to live= not live to work
  • SunnyMorningDays
    SunnyMorningDays Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 18 May 2017 at 11:48AM
    Options
    I'm sorry, I'm not really sure what you mean. Do you mean when eBay estimated delivery? They said this Monday just passed. And the item was sent Thursday afternoon according to the email update.

EDIT: eBay has told me that the seller has update the page, and although I can check the original listing I can't see what they've changed. Is there any way to check this?
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I decided to use this company primarily because they offered quicker postage.
    And you've got every right to expect that. It also narks other good sellers who loose out to sellers who lie. When you leave feedback it will ask if you received it by the due date and states that date for you. It will mark them down quite seriously if you say "no". So personally, I would wait until then rather than go phoning round Royal Mail and wasting your time.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • ontheup1972
    ontheup1972 Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    It looks to me like the seller hasn't posted it yet.

This happens far too often on ebay, there are quite a few big sellers out there who sell stuff that they don't immediately have at hand and then send it when it's finally in stock. What makes it worse is when they pretend it's been sent out.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,264 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It looks to me like the seller hasn't posted it yet.

This happens far too often on ebay, there are quite a few big sellers out there who sell stuff that they don't immediately have at hand and then send it when it's finally in stock. What makes it worse is when they pretend it's been sent out.

I'm not sure this does happen a lot, in fact with the new defect system I can't see any seller getting away with it for very long without running into issues.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Options
    Even though the seller is selling it by royal mail 48 (Second class ) on the listing what is the dispatch time??

Tracked 48 isnt 2nd class.

OP it sounds like the item hasnt hit the network yet.
    In real terms it hasnt been collected/dropped off at a mail centre from the seller.
    Expect a scan at the first mail centre it gets to and then at the next mail centre (unless you are local to the first mail centre) and then at your local delivery office.
    It is possible a poorly presented item will miss its first scan but by now I would expect it to have arrived/had other network scans.
  • SunnyMorningDays
    Options
    I just had another look at the tracking. It still says pre-advice recieved, and the circle that says "recieved in to our network" is still white/not greyed out. I'm beginning to suspect that they haven't sent the item.

They're a company and they do have a telephone number listed on their eBay listing. Should I maybe give them a ring tomorrow if it hasn't turned up or is that frowned upon? I know I can open a case on eBay but I'd rather just have the item if I could.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure