PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord's mortgage company

Options
13»

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Nor will your attempt at blackmail especially if it turns out your landlord does have consent to let. Then you'll not only have damp on the walls but egg on your face.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    I seriously doubt he has consent. He couldn't even redirect his mail, failed to cancel his Sky and electric bills when he left.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    aneary wrote: »
    The damp appeared in Christmas since this point I have been promised 3 different visits to fix everything, I have now reached breaking point.

To add to this the agency is trying to claim that I didn't inform them and therefore let it get worse which is a lie thankfully I have evidence backing me up.

I want the issues fixed and I want them fixed asap, the legal route will not provide this.
    But somehow you think blackmail will?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So the damp appeared at Christmas.

It'sa bit unclear still, but

* on what did did you first report this in writing to the LL?
    * What response and when?
    * what date did you write again to the LL?
    since it appears no action was taken
    * on what date did you contact Enviromental Health and inform them of
    a) the damp
    b) the action you've taken
    c) the LL's response (or lack)
    d) your health issue
    * on what date did EH respond and how?
  • aneary
    Options
    I reported it to the estate agent in the first week of January.

After this there were several emails going back and forth with the LL and EA copied in and a date for him to come round was arranged in mid February he didn't turn up. I emailed he didn't respond. Two weeks later I got a call from the estate agent (a different employee) saying that he was calling to sort out all the issues and also to tell me everything should go through them and not to go to the LL directly. Two points on this (which was explained to the EA) when I moved in the LL told me to contact him directly and secondly the EA was copied in.

Another date was arranged in March the LL didn't turn up yet again. I called the EA and he said he would sort it out. I didn't chase in April as I had my grandfather's internment, Easter and then I was on holiday in Spain.

I chased and was told he would be coming last Wednesday. On the Friday before the EA called me and said I needed to move the LL's sofa, I explained I couldn't as I have a slipped disc and am awaiting surgery, the EA said can your parents not pop over and move it I said no they live 60 miles away so they can't just pop over. The EA asked if my back was really that bad!! Anyway he said he would let the LL know. The LL didn't turn up and I wasn't told.

Therefore the LL has used various delaying tactics and I'm fed up beyond belief.

I ended writing an A4 page of all the things that he has either failed to do or has taken months to actually do all bar the damp was supposed to be completed before I moved in. When I did move in he had left the place filthy which is mentioned many times in the inventory report which is completed by an independent person.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    In Summary, the OP wants to claim his deposit back for issues which they left for the last 10 months. Using blackmail on the way too.

What has the mortgage type the LL has concerns you? will it affect your contract or indeed your lights/damp?

How do you know he doesn't have Consent to let or converted to BTL. Bills coming to you in his name doesn't mean nothing, unless you have been opening those bills.

it is against the law to open someone's mail:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/26/part/V/crossheading/offences-of-interfering-with-the-mail

Bare in mind if you need a letting reference, you will be cutting your own nose to spite your face.

Can you not get a handy man to lift the furniture for example?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • aneary
    Options
    No I have not been opening his letters all of them were dropped into the EAs in early December as the electricity company he used were chasing him for an unpaid bill he didn't know about.

I didn't leave the issues for 10 months he didn't fix them. All issues other than the damp are in the inventory report so the LL hasn't a leg to stand on if he tries to withhold my deposit.

I'm buying so I don't need a reference.

Not sure if you realise but handy men cost money the furniture does not belong to me even the lettingsmanager (I spoke to her after the last no show) said it wasn't my responsibility to move the sofa if the LL is unable to move it he needs to find someone who can.

Csgohan if you are going to summarise things actually read and get things right.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    28 posts in and most responses you have got are saying more or less the same thing.

I'm sorry it's not what you wanted to hear, but maybe you should take on board the gist of the advice.

Simply re-iterating your problem, and continuing to try to justify your position is not going to alter the responses.

What you now do is of course up to you.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »

Only if in transit, or it arrives and you intend to do something dodgy with it!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,634 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To find out mortgage company (if any) of most properties in England or Wales simply spend £3 with land registry & you will find name & address of owner (may not be Landlord) and name of any lender.

I'm certain any lender would value having a possible fraud pointed out to them. But Tenant highly unlikely to get a reply.

If address is the property highly likely some fiddle: or v stupid owner (easy to id fraud and sell/remortgage the place......)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure