How to Hang a Mirror Without Screws

Options
I have a fairly large mirror (it's about 60cm tall, 40cm wide) that I want to hang on the wall.
However, the location is above the electric consumer unit box, so drilling and screws is a no go.

I've not heard good things about No Nails and Gorilla (like they keep coming loose).

Any other options, apart from not bothering?

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,378 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I might suggest Gripfill but be warned once it is on, you won't be able to remove it without breaking the mirror. You will need to support the mirror temporarily whilst the Gripfill sets.
  • MisterP123
    MisterP123 Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    Above the consumer unit? Got any pics or care to explain in a bit more detail?

As per the original question, stixall is pretty good.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As with all glues/grabs the one thing a lot of people do not take on board is preparing the surfaces prior to using the glues. No glue/grab will hold if both surfaces are not TOTALLY cleaned.
    I have used both of the above products and would recommend either with the size/weight of mirror you have but do spend the time making sure that the areas on both the wall and mirror are cleaned .
  • JP08
    JP08 Posts: 851 Forumite
    Options
    Also might be an idea to remove the paint / paper from the glue area - the hanging is only as good as the bonding of the surface it is bonded to. Ie glue sticks to [uncleaned wall part, delete if you've cleaned the wall -the muck on the wall, the muck on the wall sticks to] the paint / paper, paint / paper sticks to the plaster, plaster sticks to the brickwork. The strength of the hanging is the strength of the weakest bond.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm a wuss. I'd not want to hang anything above a consumer unit - if that farquer goes in the middle of the night and whips out the entire fuse box ..... I'd not be able to cope :)
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    3M picture hanging strip.
    I hang my 40 x 140 mirror with these.
    it still staying on the wall after 4 years.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Command-Large-Picture-Hanging-Strips/dp/B00404YKZI/ref=pd_sim_60_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AFY0DR5YSJZ71TC86Q43
  • casper_g
    casper_g Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Options
    If I was using grab adhesive on a frame less mirror I'd make sure to use one with a foiled back, as I suspect (but don't know) that the solvent in the adhesive might do funny things to the silvering on the mirror.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    How heavy is it? If it's not too heavy I would look at 3m Command Strips. The large ones can hold several KG of weight and they can be easily removed. I wouldn't stick anything up with Gripfill unless you want to have to repair your wall when you remove it.
  • penguingirl
    penguingirl Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    Options
    casper_g wrote: »
    If I was using grab adhesive on a frame less mirror I'd make sure to use one with a foiled back, as I suspect (but don't know) that the solvent in the adhesive might do funny things to the silvering on the mirror.

Yes, previous owners in our house had used some kind if adhesive that seeped through the mirror leaving a very obvious squiggle that could be seen through the mirror. It looked awful.
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MisterP123 wrote: »
    Above the consumer unit? Got any pics or care to explain in a bit more detail?

Erm, well I have a small cupboard in the hallway with a ECU in it:
    dualrcdconsumer.jpg

We want to hang a mirror above it on the wall but as electric comes in and out to various places in the house, drillng is a no no.

It's this mirror:

1459910245_595.jpg

The wall has been freshly painted so it'll be pretty good to go, although I may roughen it up a little to get a better stick.

Cisco001 wrote: »
    3M picture hanging strip.
    I hang my 40 x 140 mirror with these.
    it still staying on the wall after 4 years.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Command-Large-Picture-Hanging-Strips/dp/B00404YKZI/ref=pd_sim_60_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AFY0DR5YSJZ71TC86Q43
    Can you explain a little more how these work?
    I find it strange that it "holds strong" but "cleanly removes", so how can it be strongly attached to the wall?

Although the mirror is no more than a couple of kilos at best.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure