PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How long on average for offers

Options
Morning MSE.

We put our house on the market this week! Have had two viewings so far (one cancelled as their buyer fell through and didn't want to waste our time). Another one booked in for today.

It got me thinking, how long on average would you expect to wait for offers? After 10, 20 viewing?

Would the particulars of our property make you want to view it if you were in the market for something like that? (do you think picture and description are enticing enough?)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-48318855.html

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 May 2017 at 9:16AM
    Options
    Who dates an average woman/man?

Who buys an average house?

Not me; I want better than that!

I don't think I'm unique in the way I think. The vast majority of people want the best deal they can get. Deals on houses are based on a combination of price and desirability.

So an average isn't much use, because if your house is only averagely priced and averagely desirable, you may wait much longer than average to sell it!

P.S.
    The situation is pleasant and so is the presentation, but have local prices increased sufficiently to warrant you asking £42k more after only 2 years? Which way are prices heading now?
  • Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh wow what an open question.

Averages just don't play ball in house viewings. You get an offer when someone wants your house, but depends if your house is reasonable price, good location people want, not quirky (such as steps to front door or sloping garden), number of similar houses nearby etc etc.

I would say if you have 10 or so viewings without any interest, price is usually the factor.

I would expect an offer within 5 or so viewings if you are in a good location and competitively priced.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The last house I sold went to the first viewers. It actually took longer than that sounds (as they had gone off to look at other things and came back three weeks later with an offer), and I wouldn't suggest that gives any guidance about how long you ought to wait.

As for yours, the listing looks ok, other than I have no idea what I'm meant to be "stunned" by. But the price seems ambitious - why would I pay £190k for a 2 bed mid-terrace when I have a choice of several cheaper 3 bed semis in the area? Admittedly I know nothing of the area so there might be a good reason.
  • samsam89
    samsam89 Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good comments :) the question was deliberately open phrased. We had 3 estate agents in to value and they all priced at the same figure with a view to achieving between 180-190. I would say it's possibly priced slightly higher but would hope to attract offers in the region of 180-190k. It's in the upper end of the 2 bed market in our area which seems to peak at 200k.

The property next door "sold" at the same time as ours but took a while to complete.

Location is probably its biggest feature. It's tucked away down a very quiet tree lined private gravel driveway shared with a few executive style homes and has a stream running along the drive.

The use of the word stunning was the estate agents chouce. I'm not sure I'd have picked such a strong adjective!!
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    every house has a price that people think it is worth, so it will sell at a price.

Is your house overpriced?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • samsam89
    Options
    I was surprised when they all valued at asking of 190k. I was originally thinking 170-180 and was being optimistic. However, the EA's all came back with the same figure and Zoopla valuation is 180k based on price increases since we bought it. So doesn't seem too far off the mark based on those things.
  • samsam89
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    No, it sold last October.

Houses are only sold when the transaction completes.

We must be looking at different things because there was no house sale next to mine during last year. They all sold in 2015.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    samsam89 wrote: »
    We must be looking at different things because there was no house sale next to mine during last year. They all sold in 2015.
    I can't see it now either.

Apologies. Too many windows open, or I must be having a senior moment. :o

My post for that will be deleted.
  • samsam89
    Options

Who buys an average house?

Not me; I want better than that!

I don't think I'm unique in the way I think. The vast majority of people want the best deal they can get. Deals on houses are based on a combination of price and desirability.

So an average isn't much use, because if your house is only averagely priced and averagely desirable, you may wait much longer than average to sell it!

P.S.
    The situation is pleasant and so is the presentation, but have local prices increased sufficiently to warrant you asking £42k more after only 2 years? Which way are prices heading now?

I was generally surprised at the valuation, but went with it as EA seemed confident of achieving near to that price.

Just trying to gauge interest in it. Have had 5 viewings booked since it went on the market on Tuesday night. So it's had 3 full days on Rightmove. That is really what sparked my thoughts on average viewings etc.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Only the drunk or desperate :)
    We all like to think we date BETTER than the average.

Re original question .... only your local estate agent can answer this question .... and even then he'd be guessing about offers on your actual house, depending on his stake/interest in you getting an offer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure