Do cats go senile?

Options
Sadly, it looks like my Mum's cat is not going to last much longer. She's nearly 19 and been deaf for the last year or two. Otherwise in good health and not in any pain or distress. Now though she is only eating a few mouthfuls once every couple of days (mum is giving her bits of cooked chicken and fish) but she's refusing it mostly. She's always been slim but now she's painfully thin. Bizarrely, she wants to be outside the whole time - has her odd mouthful of food then desparate to go back out. She spends all her time in a 'dent' in the flower bed in all weathers. Now that the weather's turning this seems very odd behaviour. She has always been an 'out' cat and was a great mouser in her prime, but equally slept indoors and went on laps etc. Probably not relevant but she had 2 litters as a youngster before being neutered.

Comments

• anniestar
    anniestar Posts: 2,600 Forumite
    Options
    Yes cats can get dementia it is quite common sadly. It seems to me as though her time is almost up. In your position I would take her to the vet to ensure that there isn't anything that is causing her pain or distress, but I think you might find that that is "the way". If the vet says that your cat is old(well yes some DO state the obvious) and offers to euthanise her, unless she is in pain(which she seems not to be)then I would take her home and let her find her own place.It may well be that she will die peacefuly in her selected spot. I have had cats all my life and my biggest regret is not following my instincts and doing that. I had a wonderful old boy(probably the cat I have been closest to) who, like your mums cat lost weight and started acting in a different way. (he was under the vet anyway) the vet persuaded me that it was a more "natural" way to help him and eventually we had him put down(I was MUCH younger then was 15 years ago) and even though it was unlikely he would have lived for more than a couple of extra days I regert that and will to the end of my days.(Am in floods of tears now) Please enjoy your cat and know that we are thinking of you. Good luck.
    Blind as you run...aware you were staring at the sun.

And when no hope was left inside on that starry starry night.

:A Level 42- the reason I exist. :A
  • vyvyan_2
    vyvyan_2 Posts: 653 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your kind reply. I'm with you on this. Go with your instincts but put the cat first. I'm trying to persuade my mum to get her checked out but if she's not in any pain or distress, to let nature take it's course. As I said, she's not obviously suffering as far as we can tell. I'm filling up too now. I got her for my mum through a friend of mine and all of us have had cats throughout our lives. My mum says no more after this one as it would out-live her now as my mum is nearly 80. It's never easy.
  • anniestar
    Options
    I hope that things are a little bit easier today. Am thinking of you and your mum. By the way if your mum would still like a cat but is worried about being out lived perhaps if she contacted her local cats protection re being a foster home? Our branch has about 7 or 8 ladies who do an anazing job who range in age from 67 to 88 !!CP pay for food and vet bills & offer complete support. I know that each CP branch is different but if she wanted another cat might be worth a thought. PLEASE do not think I am being insensitive I KNOW she still HAS a dearly loved cat but I couldn't stop thinking about her and how devistating not having a cat would be. May be worth thinking about. Much love to you all. A XX

• sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    vyvyan wrote: »
    Sadly, it looks like my Mum's cat is not going to last much longer. She's nearly 19 and been deaf for the last year or two. Otherwise in good health and not in any pain or distress. Now though she is only eating a few mouthfuls once every couple of days (mum is giving her bits of cooked chicken and fish) but she's refusing it mostly. She's always been slim but now she's painfully thin. Bizarrely, she wants to be outside the whole time - has her odd mouthful of food then desparate to go back out. She spends all her time in a 'dent' in the flower bed in all weathers. .
    I have a 17year old cat, earlier this year he stopped eating and lost weight , took him to the vet and he had mouth ulcers which made it too painful for him to eat. The ulcers were caused by bad teeth. the vet suggested extractions but we decided not to go that route because of his age. The vet then gave him a steroid injection, then as soon as we got home 10 min later he ate a whole tin of tuna and has been more or less eating ever since.
    Our cat is old and he does have funny habits now, sitting outside, when he never did before but hey he's getting on. We had blood tests done and there was nothing untoward there.
    It may be that your cat has something similar to ours. You say he's not in pain, but I'm afraid cats don't often show pain, so better to get him checked out.
    As for letting nature take it's course, quality of life is imortant too and puss had been a friend to you, you need to be good to him if his time is near and he is in pain or suffering
    hugs
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Our cat used to wake up in the night, sit on the stairs and yowel (?). When you spoke to her or stroked her, she was alright after that - till the next night. The vet said she was going senile and forgetting where she was and getting confused. :(
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    newlywed wrote: »
    Our cat used to wake up in the night, sit on the stairs and yowel (?). When you spoke to her or stroked her, she was alright after that - till the next night. The vet said she was going senile and forgetting where she was and getting confused. :(
    Our cat did that, so we leave a nigt light on for him now, still get the occasional noise in the night. Buth e can be looking at his water bowl and yowl at that or even just walk thro the room and make a noise.
    Cats do suffer from dementia, it's something to do with protein deposits in their brain.
  • Sola
    Sola Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Options
    Our cats do this - we call it the 'Lone Cat in a Hostile Universe' cry. But it doesn't seem to matter what age they are, they all seem to yodel when alone. Our oldest girl was wailing to herself in the garden yesterday morning at 6.00am - DH shot out there thinking she was hurt, and she proudly showed him the mouse she'd caught.

My friend has an old boy of 16 who walks into corners and stays facing the wall until you pick him up and turn him round, and off he trundles again.

I've had cats all my life and when their appetite goes and steroids etc don't bring it back, it's usually time. I'm in favour of euthanasia when nothing more can be done; one cat died very distressed in my arms after surgery, and it was horrible - I'll never make that mistake again.
  • anniestar
    Options
    But quality of life is imortant too and puss had been a friend to you, you need to be good to him if his time is near and he is in pain or suffering
    hugs[/quote]

I agree BUT...the key is "and if he is in pain or suffering." We all try to do the best for our beloved pets but I will regret to my dying day having my old boy etuhinised at the vets. Can I just add that I HAVE sadly, had to have cats put down since Prince SO I am not anti euthaniaisa per sae(Indeed In the last 4 weeks I have spent £425_pale_ _pale_ _pale_ on one of my 7)
    NO ONE can say what is the right thing to do-there are NO "right answers" its knowledge of your pet, an awareness of their quality of life and intrest in their surroundings.(It goes without saying that if the pet is suffering then its a no brainer but I don't think thats what we are discussing) We all can only try our best, difficult though it is. My love and best wishes to anyone in this difficult position at the moment.((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))

• vyvyan_2
    vyvyan_2 Posts: 653 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks to all for your kind replies. I insisted she's brought indoors, soaking wet drowned rat as she was, and kept indoors against her will because although their garden is safe and secluded, I thinks she's vunerable and as she's so weak, defenceless too. I'll go and see them at the weekend (long journey that I can't do weekdays). Kinda looks enevitable now.....:cry:
  • miss_phish
    miss_phish Posts: 674 Forumite
    Options
    Sending you teary hugs...xxx

My girl is (we think) 20 - she 'talks to the ghosts' (stares & yowls at corners etc) sits under her tree in the garden, is totally deaf, makes the daftest noise ever (esp since she lost her voice to cat flu years ago!) and I love her to bits.

Good luck xxx
    Piggypoints - 207+£10 * Quidco - £95 * Tesco - 1095 * Sainsbugs - 4237
    :DI SHALL be debt free!!!!!:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills