Moving Gas Metre

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels
5 replies 3.1K views
rachaelseppingsrachaelseppings Forumite
1 Post
Hi, we are looking to build an extension but our gas meter is on a wall where part of the extension would go. Our boiler is upstairs in the airing cupboard and on an external wall.
Initially we were only doing one storey so we were going going to move the gas Metre around the corner to the kitchen external wall and have the pipework go up the kitchen wall instead.
Now we have decided to go up two storeys which means the boiler would be on an internal wall. My question is does the pipework that goes from the Metre to the boiler have to be on an external wall or can it be internal?
I hope this makes sense.
Thanks

Replies

• footyguyfootyguy Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Hi, we are looking to build an extension but our gas meter is on a wall where part of the extension would go. Our boiler is upstairs in the airing cupboard and on an external wall.
    Initially we were only doing one storey so we were going going to move the gas Metre around the corner to the kitchen external wall and have the pipework go up the kitchen wall instead.
    Now we have decided to go up two storeys which means the boiler would be on an internal wall. My question is does the pipework that goes from the Metre to the boiler have to be on an external wall or can it be internal?
    I hope this makes sense.
    Thanks
    Probably better to have the pipe internal - will help avoid possible damage by physical contact, weather, etc.

Our gas pipe is undeneath our concrete floor and up internal walls, albeit recessed/boxed in, etc

But I've seen some people have them external - looks untidy imho.
  • dogshomedogshome Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is this boiler on an internal wall staying on the ground floor, and if so what are the flue arrangements?

Regulations as to how and where a boiler flu is situated have become much tighter.
    The flu itself and every joint in it must be cabable of visual inspection, and it cannot exhaust anywhere near a door or opening window.

There are plenty of earlier installed boilers in service that don't meet this criteria, but if they are swapped for a new one the regulations apply, and it's a fair bet that a Gas Safe engineer who's asked to move an existing boiler will only work within the new regulations
  • G_MG_M Forumite
    52K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a gas engineer in.
  • edited 21 May 2017 at 1:36PM
    davemortondavemorton Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 May 2017 at 1:36PM
    dogshome wrote: »
    Is this boiler on an internal wall staying on the ground floor, and if so what are the flue arrangements?

Regulations as to how and where a boiler flu is situated have become much tighter.
    The flu itself and every joint in it must be cabable of visual inspection, and it cannot exhaust anywhere near a door or opening window.

There are plenty of earlier installed boilers in service that don't meet this criteria, but if they are swapped for a new one the regulations apply, and it's a fair bet that a Gas Safe engineer who's asked to move an existing boiler will only work within the new regulations

How far away from the door does it have to be please? I had a new boiler installed about 18 months ago, and the flue is only about 2/3 foot from my door.

Edit: After googling, it appears it has to be 300mm from a window, so presuming it is the same fore a door, so Im okay.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • firefox1956firefox1956 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    You will of course be moving a gas METER not a gas METRE
    HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants