cyclist vs pedestrian - who has right of way

Options

Comments

• Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Other annoyances I've seen on cycle lanes:

Bidirectional cycle lanes: cyclists that see me and move over to the right and stay there until we both end up getting in each others way.
    Single direction cycle lanes on each side of the road: Cyclists that ride on the wrong side, forcing other cyclists into the road.
    Pedestrians that walk in cycle lanes which are separated from the path
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pound wrote: »
    Pedestrians that walk in cycle lanes which are separated from the path

A common cyclist error.

Cyclists can only use the cycle part of a shared pedestrian/cycle path, but pedestrians are free to use whatever part of the pavement they want.

Quite simply cyclists need to realise they are the ones that need to take action to avoid the pedestrians, and if that means slowing to a stop and cycling behind at walking pace, that is what they need to do.
  • Lord_Baltimore
    Lord_Baltimore Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    Options
    Altarf wrote: »
    Cyclists can only use the cycle part of a shared pedestrian/cycle path, but pedestrians are free to use whatever part of the pavement they want.
    I didn't know that.
    Luckily, I've yet to meet a pedestrian that knows that too :D.
    Mornië utulië
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A common cyclist error.

Quite simply cyclists need to realise they are the ones that need to take action to avoid the pedestrians, and if that means slowing to a stop and cycling behind at walking pace, that is what they need to do.

Isn't that the same on roads? Pedestrians can walk wherever they like. Yet for some reason they tend to treat an approaching car with a lot more respect than a bicycle.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Idont mind a cyclist repeatedly ringing their bell. What I do appreciate is being thanked when I step aside to allow people to pass.
    Just good manners really.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    London50 wrote: »
    Then you would guess wrong, as I stated I have done it a few times in the last 5 years and without any comeback. Living around the London area there are far to many people that think they have full rights to cycle and behave just as they choose without any regards to others. As I need a walking stick when out and about ANY cyclist that rides too close has had and will have that treatment.:mad:
    Which is why I try to avoid London except for short visits :)
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Options
    Which is why I try to avoid London except for short visits :)

I do not blame you.99% of the time it is hectic,the other 1% is chaos :(
  • UKSBD
    UKSBD Posts: 797 Forumite
    Options
    There is a difference between right of way and give way to.

A vehicle may have a right of way but it doesn't mean they shouldn't give way.
  • GillM
    GillM Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A common cyclist error.

I didn't know that either - only a couple of weeks ago I was cursed by a cyclist because I was on 'his' side of the path. It wasn't even deliberate on my part, it had been about 30 minutes since the last marker to say which side was which and I'd forgotten. Do you have the source for this, then I can bawl it after the next one to do it?
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Come to Blackheath, South London... The clever council resurfaced the shared path to make it look nice for the Olympics and didn't repaint the markings. So now pedestrians use the full width while decent cyclists take to the grass to give them a wide berth and the minority of anti-social cyclists weave through at speed. Added confusion because some of the paths across the heath are shared and some are footpaths and again; the anti-social minority charge down these at full tilt.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure